Multi tool too damn heavy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

angrylegs

by angrylegs

gcwebbyuk wrote:The rest is still worth keeping in the bag isn't it?

Depends on your comfort zone, your road conditions and accumulated experience of what you need where you ride, but for me I only bring a tube, a tire lever, a CO2 cartridge and an inflator. Sometimes I have the 4 and 5mm hex in there. I'm quite content to use a dollar bill as a temporary patch should I ever need it (never have - yes, it supposedly works). Only once in all my riding did I fumble a CO2 inflation and wish I had a second cartridge, but not long after another rider came by and gave me his, otherwise it would have been a phone call. The times I have actually gotten stranded (twice) carrying only this were each a spoke break that resulted in the wheel being too out of true to ride even with the brakes open - never was it due to not having a patch kit or a multi tool, although like I say, I guess technically once I was momentarily stranded for not having a second CO2.

weenie

by weenie

This is one of the nicest "light" multis ive found/used so far http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S3P85Y

Ozrider

by Ozrider

If you are worried about weight, a Lezyne carbon pump is lighter than a canister and inflator, and can be used several times and inflates pretty quick
I use the Lezyne Carbon 10 tool only on very long rides in remote areas.
The 4 and 5mm hex idea is a really good one, just check the most common size hex bolts and carry 2-3 hex keys, most modern bikes don't need screwdrivers etc.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

gcwebbyuk

by gcwebbyuk

I do also carry a small topeak pump but in my jersey pocket.

I have a neck injury And having to pump a tube up all the way would cause my neck to actually prevent me from riding so I definitely need the co2, the pump is there just as a top up.

I seem to be unlucky with punctures, so wouldn't want to be without.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

gcwebbyuk wrote:Ok, so I have weighed everything I tend to carry in my saddlebag:
Saddle bag : 123g
Patch kit: 21g
Inner tube: 103g
Tyre levers: 29g
2x CO2 canisters and inflator: 174g
Mini pen knife: 24g
Multi tool: 213g

So let's say I ditch the multi tool and pen knife and replaced with a lightweight multi tool circa 90g that's a saving of around 150g. I suppose that's a worthwhile weight saving. The rest is still worth keeping in the bag isn't it?

Sure, in the bag, but what about THE bag? You could reduce further weight with a lighter bag (my Arundel is about 70 grams), glueless patches, lighter tube (talced in plastic wrap), one tire lever (or use tires that can be mounted by thumb only), and of course a smaller tool. You can probably squeeze 200 grams of saving there (about a half pound)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Some of those really light multi tools become worthless if you need to use them in a tight spot.
Speedplay is the devil!

eric

by eric

I have a couple older Ritchey CPR-9 tools. They have a chain breaker, 3/4/5mm allen, flat blade screwdriver, spoke wrench and a couple hex bolt things that no one needs any more. Weighs 55g. I've worn out the spoke wrench (it's a slot in the aluminium body) so I made my own, which weighs 4g.

I've not needed a chain tool on a ride but people I have been riding with have. None of us like to make that call. One guy shifted his derailleur into his spokes and broke the hanger. We used my tool to shorten the chain and turn his bike into a single speed so he could ride home.

sawyer

by sawyer

Search and read this forum a bit more

Take one or two allen keys you might need and that's enough
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Depending on what you use torx bits are becoming more of a necessity.
Speedplay is the devil!

MoPho

by MoPho

Fix it sticks, only 55g and quite compact, though I think I saw someone had weighed them and they were actually lighter than that.

http://fixitsticks.com/

tommasini

by tommasini

Cosmo wrote:Why carry a multi tool? In 20 years of road riding I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to adjust something with a tool. Take a look at your bike and what you would legitimately need assuming the bike is maintained correctly and a situation you could repair yourself with only the need to get home. For tools I carry (outside of flat repair):

-short 5mm hex. fits just about everything on the bike including shifter hoods if you crash or the quite hidden saddle rail bolts. Multi tools struggle there.
-short 4mm hex. Cable pinch bolts on my kit are 4s. My bike only has 6mm bolts on the back of the 5mm ring bolts so no need for a 6.
-T25 add on bit for the 4mm hex. Comes with the Zipp stem I use, they even sell them.

an oring holds the two keys together, the bit is magnetic.

Never felt the need for a chain tool on the road. Crank comes loose? Multi tool isn't enough leverage to get it tight enough but fall back to maintained correctly as the answer there.

Of course there will come a day when the phone is the way to get home but I've been resourceful enough to solve any issue so far. If an issue needs more than the very basics and some smarts then calling someone is likely a better plan.

Carrying a multi tool for me ended many years ago when not being able to reach the brake pad bolt after a broken spoke on a CX woods ride. Even when I used to guide MTB trips the carry was separate tools rather than a multi, a Leatherman excepted. Separate tools are cheaper, lighter and work better than multis.

Not trying to one up this excellent post - rather add that in over 35 years of road riding I have experienced so very few mechanicals - and NONE of those would have been helped with a multi-tool, individual allens, etc. Toss those as far as you can - maintain your bike (yourself) very well and then you don't need a 1/4 lb crap "anchor" on each ride. Carry a spare tube/tubular and pump - nothing more.

MoPho

by MoPho

tommasini wrote:
Not trying to one up this excellent post - rather add that in over 35 years of road riding I have experienced so very few mechanicals - and NONE of those would have been helped with a multi-tool, individual allens, etc. Toss those as far as you can - maintain your bike (yourself) very well and then you don't need a 1/4 lb crap "anchor" on each ride. Carry a spare tube/tubular and pump - nothing more.

In an effort to lighten my load, I too had been thinking I should ditch my multi-tool but I somewhat recently had a shifter paddle break off in my hand (nothing to do with maintenance) and needed my multi-tool to jerry-rig my derailleur into a gear that I could be able ride the last 30+ miles home. I did get rid of the multi-tool for the above Fix It Sticks which are light enough that it's a no brainer to carry them for those rare but potential moments you need it. :noidea:

Marin

by Marin

Ritchey cpr-9 and a separate 2.5 allen for my SRAM derailleurs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djwalker

by djwalker

I have needed a chain breaker 3 times in the past 3 years. Once for me and twice for other people I was riding with. So, I wouldn't be without one and a quick link. Otherwise a 2, 3, 4, and 5 mm Allen wrenches cover everything on my bike. Separate Allens are easier to pack than a multi tool. I also carry a spare dérailleur hanger. It was a long ride/walk back when my son broke one on a MTB crash.