Carbon Ti X-Hub SL .... Any users?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Very nice Pendrefeu! Could you post the build list by any chance?

I'm looking for something like that :)
Ride it like you stole it

liketoride

by liketoride

Almost another month has gone by and wanted to bump this to see if anyone has wanted to do a review on these yet

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liketoride

by liketoride

it has been a couple of months since the last time. i was wondering if anyone has put some mile on these and would like to report back? thank you

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Beeing riding on them a bit and they seem fine as hubs. No drama's so far.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I've been riding them for a few months now as well, need to put together a review of those wheels I posted earlier...
As for the hubs - solid, smooth, great. No complaints at all, the front feels stable and the rear quite nice as well ('wind up' or whatever you want to call it has been snappy and quick). Spokes haven't lost tension or had any issues and I haven't detected any problems with the spoke holes... basically what you'd expect: just great hubs that can be used as a daily rider. They're light but not über light, the total on this set came out to 233 grams.

I've been happy with these hubs, their weight and the price that I ordered an entirely new set from Starbike and received them yesterday: 234g for the set, front & rear. I can provide individual weights later on if you'd like.

I think they're a great buy for the price/weight/performance.

That said, I would like to see them added to the next round of FWB's hub review so I can read the mechanical analysis behind them from two trusted experts.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ms6073

by ms6073

I am thinking those hubs take design cues from Extralite and Tune hubs, while being more user-serviceable.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

liketoride

by liketoride

well that is what i am after, thank you for the comments guys. Anyone know what brand bearings they come with? Or anything about the bearings? Thanks again

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

ms6073 wrote:I am thinking those hubs take design cues from Extralite and Tune hubs, while being more user-serviceable.

Certainly seems like it, no?
Which isn't a bad thing either: it's like the best of both worlds in one affordable set.

I also believe, but could be mistaken, that a lot of their design has carried over from their (previously existing and successful?) MTB hubs.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

davidw

by davidw

I've been talking with Fairwheel about some new wheels for the past month or so. Initially opted for the Extralite SP hubs but Jason convinced me otherwise. We had talked about going Tune but I wanted the weight and features of Extralite. Some weeks went by and we start talking about Carbon-Ti. He was telling me you essentially get the best of both Tune and Extralite in the Carbon-Ti hubs. They're slightly lighter than Tune, slightly heavier than Extralite. You get straight pull with good bracing angles and a micro tuner but also an everyday hubset reliability with larger axles and slightly larger bearings. Seems like a good compromise to me. Waiting on the wheels to get built but I'll repro back when I get them and put some miles in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

liketoride

by liketoride

just did my first ride on them today. I will put a couple hundred miles on them and get back with everyone about how they hold up for the 90kg+ riders

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I know several people have asked us why we carry the mtn ones but not the road ones and we've never really been able to say why. We had a few sets of the original road hubs and loved so many things about them, but just couldn't get past the dimensions which didn't make sense to us. We've been working with Carbon-ti for the last year to refine the spacing and come up with a hub which we feel is a really good balance of traits. The newest version will be available very shortly (we've already received some sets of the production versions) However I should note it's only the straight pull version which has been updated so far, but do expect to see updates on the flanged version as well. The new version pushes OLN to 131, improves tension ratio from 38% to 47%, doubles the points the of engagement and even manages to be just a couple grams lighter. We'll have a more thorough write up of them coming shortly.

Davidw, above will be the first one to get the new hubs, he should have his wheels early next week and perhaps will be willing to share his thoughts on them.

davidw

by davidw

madcow wrote: Davidw, above will be the first one to get the new hubs, he should have his wheels early next week and perhaps will be willing to share his thoughts on them.

[emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Started using mine more. Been through alot of water today with them and i hope all is fine. I will find out over the next few days. I have yet to find fault. I did find a coiple of days ago when i fitted new skewers alot of creaking. I wound out the bearing preload adjuster and the creak is gone. It seems the new skewers clamped better than the old ones. So i like them. They use 6803 bearings i believe so not small ones. There are no issues with the rear hub from the wide flange spacing. I have a wheelset with an even wider fange spacing on a pacenti sl23 24h rim and that is fine when standing up and charging up a hill.

So give these hubs a go. They are 224g for the pair.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Post some pics of the new hubs please

Enviado do meu C6903 através de Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elfuinha

by elfuinha

excremanwu wrote:Image

Any experience? :mrgreen: