Speedplay Pavé,... any users?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

More expensive, and heavier than typical speedplay. I like the design but gotto pass.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It seems you just need to ad and stack stuff to make these good. Again, that is not needed with Time/ Mavic. It kind of puts me off...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

The adaptor plate for Speedplays, if you use 3-hole shoes, can also wear and contribute to rocking so swap that occasionally as well. Better to use 4-hole shoes.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Also change shoes due to pedals! I guess it also build stack using shims for 3-hole bolt pattern. Maybe better to skip Speedplay after all.
It seems the Pavé cleats should be more durable aswell as the pedals. It would also be better if they had actual 3 bolt pattern cleats.
There is no win using SP if cleats are needing shims. They already weight more than the competitors cleats.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I've been on this forum for a long time, and in the last 6 months started doing some work for Coombe pedals, whose product I used for 13 years prior to that. I wanted to chime in here, since Coombe was brought up as an option. But since I'm now officially biased, and not just personally... let me know if anything I say is out of line.

In terms of the pricing of both our pedal, and Speedplay's Pave vs Zero... it's a lot more expensive to make a pedal body out of metal than out of plastic. I would bet that the Pave body costs ~10x more for them to investment cast and assemble than the injection molded Zero body. In our case, it's worse still because our body is machined, not cast, and that's more expensive in raw material and in time... particularly with our integrated bearings for which we have to keep very tight tolerances. That cost has to get passed on unfortunately. On the upside, I know our pedal will resist wear for a very long time. Similarly, I imagine the Pave will wear better than the Zero.

I'm definitely not a fan of adapter plates, and from my own experiences the Speedplay cleats definitely mount and work better on the 4-bolt shoes. But I think that there's a bit of a fallacy about the relative stack heights in the system. The 4-bolt shoes have flattened areas to mount the cleats (whereas the shoe itself is curved) compared to a curved sole on the 3-bolt that essentially has a constant sole thickness throughout the cleat area. Yes, the stack may be 2.5mm lower to the sole base without the adapter, but the sole itself tends to be thicker (in part because of the recessed but floating threads in the sole), and depending on where the cleat is fore-aft, the flatness will likely work against you further in terms of stack. So while it's a stronger and better setup in most ways, I don't think it actually gets your foot any closer to the axle, and maybe the opposite. That's why our cleats are designed for 3-bolt shoes now.

@Squint, yes the Coombe engagement mechanism works unlike any other pedal in terms of entry. It's really not at all hard to get used to though, at least I didn't find it so. Here's a youtube video that we made recently that demonstrates how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2pB4JMpTW0

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I must say what was appealing was the float. But i decided to go for another Time/ Mavic pedal. It is easy to set up and easy to change cleat setting.
I don't really need a more complex setting than what is offered. I can almost buy three cleats from Time and only one from SP.
I guess Coombe might be good. But i don't see the ease in same way i see it in above mentioned pedals.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Squint

by Squint

I have some 4-hole shoes and what they do is build up the sole in front of and behind the 3-hole area to create a flat area. The 3-4-hole adapter is remarkably similar in shape to this material added and is thin in the center so the actual increase in platform height (or whatever the marketing term is) is minimal.

It looks like the adapter adds thickness but it only does it around the center, same as the shoes that are 4-hole.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I'm a convert to fixed ie I don't want ANY float or movement. If Speedplay were to be totally fixed, it would mostly or absolutely solve the problem of wear and rocking - what doesn't move (except on entry & exit) doesn't wear out. Then I'd return to the Speedplay fold.

Anyone doing this kind of alteration? Shhhhhhhh, of course :wink:
Less is more.

Rick

by Rick

I ran my speedplay zeroes "totally fixed" for a while. ....adjusted to zero float.
Are you referring to some other form of "fixed" ?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Literally, like you can't move at all. My SPDL (new to me), with fixed red cleats, are wound up to the max, so that the only movement you get is when you twist out. Perhaps the Speedplay track cleats may be close?
Less is more.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'll post pictures of the custom pedals weeracerweenie made for me once I do the rebuild later this week

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That's fine if you like it and don't have pains from it. Personally i like to move just a bit at the bike.
Time has never clipped out for me, but it allows me to move a bit as i like.
I prefered Time/ Mavic over Look Blade.
I was just curious on Pavé. But i do realize it may be a mistake to change pedals.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

eljimberino

by eljimberino

I too am curious to see if the pave model solves the lateral rocking issue. Only got 12 months out of the last chromoly pair.

rkan

by rkan

eljimberino wrote:I too am curious to see if the pave model solves the lateral rocking issue. Only got 12 months out of the last chromoly pair.

I too have now become aware of the speedplay play.. Personal experience is that with 3 holes shoes and adaptors the pedals (not cleats) wear faster. I sense that for me the pedals have wore more than the cleats. I'm now looking at the Pave's as an option.. Then only cleats would need changing. Has anyone had a few gritty 10k km/miles with the paves yet; as to speak with experience to this matter?
Last edited by rkan on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boysa

by boysa

I also had been thinking about this, since as of late my Zeros were rocking quite a bit. I had changed the cleats not long ago, so I realized it was the pedal body that was worn. I was tempted to give the Pave a try, but since I need to use them with the adaptor plate... wouldn't they just wear out the plates much faster? IOW, I'd be replacing cleats quite often, and they aren't the cheapest. Unless, of course, someone can point me in the direction of a good source for cheap plates. :noidea:
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com