Speedplay Pavé,... any users?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rkan

by rkan

boysa wrote:I also had been thinking about this, since as of late my Zeros were rocking quite a bit. I had changed the cleats not long ago, so I realized it was the pedal body that was worn. I was tempted to give the Pave a try, but since I need to use them with the adaptor plate... wouldn't they just wear out the plates much faster? IOW, I'd be replacing cleats quite often, and they aren't the cheapest. Unless, of course, someone can point me in the direction of a good source for cheap plates. :noidea:

I don't see how the plates help in the wear of the cleat or pedal. The plates do not really bear any loads too much. (perhaps when really hammering or sprinting..) Speedplay does have the (again going more heavier than the normal Zeros) metal adapter plates, which I imagine wouldn't give as much play as with the plastic ones. I was thinking modifying the cleats or pedal with a method someone else mentioned; teflon shims. In my opinion the metal plates can be made out of plastic, which I did in the beginning as well.. Milk jugs, plastic packaging from christmas presents etc..

Also buying the Speedplay Aluminium Fore-Aft Extender plates is one choice..

edit: the plates, adaptor plates and the metal plates...
edit2: just found on ebay, it seems to only contain the adaptor plates and screws required: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedplay-Cle ... SwnipWZFzV

Part number 13000 it is then?

robsbc

by robsbc

Was wondering if anyone had any issue with breaking the ceramic insert in the Speedplay pave pedals?

I am on my 3rd replacement set. I have broken the insert on the right & left pedal.

I get about 2 months then the ceramic insert breaks.
Rob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

To generate better response I advice to start a new topic with a title like:
Speedplay Pave ceramic insert broken for the third time

rkan

by rkan

robsbc wrote:Was wondering if anyone had any issue with breaking the ceramic insert in the Speedplay pave pedals?

I am on my 3rd replacement set. I have broken the insert on the right & left pedal.

I get about 2 months then the ceramic insert breaks.

Ceramic? Are you sure it is ceramic? To me it looks like some porous metal.. But yes likewise, I've been affected by the same problem. My left side broke two times.. Considering going back to Zeros. Seems like where as in Zeros the problem is the plastic whereas in the Pavés it is the Ceramic then?

edit: Ok.. They are said to be Ceramic, altough I can't find the same info by Speedplay: http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-and-gear ... os-anymore

maw262

by maw262

dwaharvey wrote:I've been on this forum for a long time, and in the last 6 months started doing some work for Coombe pedals, whose product I used for 13 years prior to that. I wanted to chime in here, since Coombe was brought up as an option. But since I'm now officially biased, and not just personally... let me know if anything I say is out of line.

In terms of the pricing of both our pedal, and Speedplay's Pave vs Zero... it's a lot more expensive to make a pedal body out of metal than out of plastic. I would bet that the Pave body costs ~10x more for them to investment cast and assemble than the injection molded Zero body. In our case, it's worse still because our body is machined, not cast, and that's more expensive in raw material and in time... particularly with our integrated bearings for which we have to keep very tight tolerances. That cost has to get passed on unfortunately. On the upside, I know our pedal will resist wear for a very long time. Similarly, I imagine the Pave will wear better than the Zero.

I'm definitely not a fan of adapter plates, and from my own experiences the Speedplay cleats definitely mount and work better on the 4-bolt shoes. But I think that there's a bit of a fallacy about the relative stack heights in the system. The 4-bolt shoes have flattened areas to mount the cleats (whereas the shoe itself is curved) compared to a curved sole on the 3-bolt that essentially has a constant sole thickness throughout the cleat area. Yes, the stack may be 2.5mm lower to the sole base without the adapter, but the sole itself tends to be thicker (in part because of the recessed but floating threads in the sole), and depending on where the cleat is fore-aft, the flatness will likely work against you further in terms of stack. So while it's a stronger and better setup in most ways, I don't think it actually gets your foot any closer to the axle, and maybe the opposite. That's why our cleats are designed for 3-bolt shoes now.

@Squint, yes the Coombe engagement mechanism works unlike any other pedal in terms of entry. It's really not at all hard to get used to though, at least I didn't find it so. Here's a youtube video that we made recently that demonstrates how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2pB4JMpTW0

Is Coombe still around? I haven't received an email response and I noticed that they have had very few updates on their registered social media sites. Let me know.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

@maw262 ... in theory, but not in practice, at least not right now.

maw262

by maw262

dwaharvey wrote:@maw262 ... in theory, but not in practice, at least not right now.

Do they have any extra pairs of pedals they want to part with?

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

maw262 wrote:Do they have any extra pairs of pedals they want to part with?

Not at present I'm afraid

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Love mine, very heavy, but have been performing great. Love the aesthetics of them.

I've just received a set of Ward Ti spindles which will trim some of the fat off them.