Di2 Question about mixing.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PinaRene

by PinaRene

My current set-up is :

Ultegra 6770 front - rear derailleur and Ultegra 6770 shifters. External battery and no software update ( all old school :shock: )

What I want to do :

Use a 9070 front derailleur in the current set-up -> Will this work ?

In a few buy a 9070 rear derailleur - use it in this set-up because the spacing is the same ( use end screws for 10 speed ) because I don't want to buy new wheels. Will that work with or without software update or doesn't it work at all ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

androidavies

by androidavies

I haven't done this exact swap, but I fitted up an Ultegra 6870 rear mech with the 6770 levers. This worked successfully to run 11 cogs correctly on the rear wheel.

So far as I am aware, the levers are just a switch, the 'brain" is in the gear mech. So if you were to fit a rear 9070 mech with your 6770 levers, then it would be expecting an 11 speed cassette and cog spacing, and therefore wouldn't work correctly on your 10 speed cassette.

I think the front 9070 mech would work with the 6770 levers, although I haven't directly tried that. The front mech stop screws set where the mech will move to, so presumably you could set it correctly on your existing crankset. I've had all sorts of cranksets/rings work fine with the Di2 front mechs.

If you don't want to change your wheels, I've also successfully fitted 10 of the 11 cogs from an 11 speed Shimano cassette onto a 10 speed freehub. This needed an extra 1mm spacer. Then the 11 speed 9070, or 6870 rear mech works fine.

Hope this helps......

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Best info about combos, mixing and matching etc. is here:

http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I had this setup (still do) on several bikes.

Front mech is 9070, shifters and rear mech were 6770. Shifters are now also 9070.

Recently upgraded one bike to 9070 rear mech as well.

Bought the EDCO 11-speed monoblock cassette with special locking - and can run 11-speed on 10-speed wheels. Have some 11-speed specific wheels also.

If you're not going to run 11-speed cassette, not sure why you'd want to run the 11-speed rear mech.

P.S> Don't update the software until you go full 11-speed.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

Racing2

by Racing2

goodboyr wrote:Best info about combos, mixing and matching etc. is here:

http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

Thanks, helpfull link!

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Pokerface07 wrote:I had this setup (still do) on several bikes.
Front mech is 9070, shifters and rear mech were 6770. Shifters are now also 9070. Recently upgraded one bike to 9070 rear mech as well. Bought the EDCO 11-speed monoblock cassette with special locking - and can run 11-speed on 10-speed wheels. Have some 11-speed specific wheels also.

If you're not going to run 11-speed cassette, not sure why you'd want to run the 11-speed rear mech.

P.S> Don't update the software until you go full 11-speed.

The reason for update to the rear mech is because it's 10x more beautiful than the 6770 rear mech. 8) . No I have the 9000 crankset and brake set. The shifters can stay 6770 for me because I like the grip and looks.

Rear mech and front mech - well I would love to have the 9070 - maybe later the shifters / and the 3 port junction box/ internal battery. Now I have the ext. battery and NO software update - so according to the http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-ever ... d-to-know/ it should work :?

11-speed mono black is also an option - or 11 speed Shimano cassette ( leave one out ) to make it 10 speed ( With Di2 9070 compatibility )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kimaswan

by kimaswan

Hi,
anyone noticed some problems on the long run when using only 1 (for instance rear derailleur) 6870 derailleur ?
A bike mechanic told me he had experienced a few problems when he only upgraded one derailleur (for instance, running whole 6770 + a rear 6870). But no problem when upgrading both derailleurs. Did anyone experience the same issues ?

I was hit by a car and the rear 6770 derailleur broke. I don't want to "upgrade" the firmware and would like to buy just a new RD6870 (and a new 11s cassette+crankset+chain (+wheels+frame), because anyway all those parts are litteraly bent on my crashed bike).

Last question : if I buy a RD6870 (or even if I buy both front and rear 6870), will I need a firmware update (but in this case, not the latest that "ban" 6870/6770 mix) or is it plug-and-play ?