Adding a SRAM Powerlink to a Dura-Ace chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I have Dura-Ace 11-speed chains on my bikes. I want to be able to take the chains off to give them a thorough cleaning. Is it safe to add an 11 speed SRAM Powerlink master link to each chain? Will my shifting suffer because of it?

Also, I've been told by individuals more learned than I that these Powerlink devices are single-use only and must be replaced after each removal? Is this true?

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I've used a KMC link on DA and Ultegra chains for a while now. You'll likely need a pair of master link pliers to crack it open for cleaning, but I've had no issue with re-use or shifting issues from doing so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Ive used KCM missing links on Campy Record and Shimano Dura Ace for yonks with out problems. They are meant to be single use but ive never had a problem reusing them. I've opened and re joined them several times to clean chains. no problem so far.

these days i use a park tools chain cleaning tool/bath thing which seems to work great and gets the chain shiny clean again. so if i fit a dura ace chain i use the shimano pin but carry a missing link with my multi tool just in case i ever break a chain wile out rising, if i fit a campy chain (i buy what ever is on sale) then i have to use a missing link as the campy chain tool is super expensive and not necessary.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

11-speed DA chain with 11 speed SRAM Powerlink works fine. It is marketed as single use and ideally should be single use.

Nonetheless, you can get a good few 3 or 4 disengagements before it loses it clicking in capability. Once that happens, you will notice your chain "skipping"/making a noise when the faulty link goes through the RD under pressure. Removal doesnt require master link pliers, it can be done with a normal set of pliers biting into the Powerlink at an angle.

kdawg

by kdawg

I dunno, I see how that works but it's asking to chew up the link.

I just bought a set of link pliers for about $10 and I wish I'd done it years ago - seconds to get a chain off and no grazed knuckles when I slip.

Good for refitting too although that's obviously a lot easier.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I realized this is an old thread, but here's my experience: Missing Links work just fine. I reuse them until I replace the chain. Never had a problem.

As for removal, go to the bargain store and buy a cheap pair of snap-ring pliers. Works fret, and you have a pair of snap-ring pliers, should you need them.