PF 30 Bottom Bracket advice please.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Titanium22

by Titanium22

Hello all,

I've read loads of posts on here, regarding creaking PF30 BB cups with adapters, but most seem a few years old. Now people seem to either bond in an FSA sleeve (Don't fancy that) or use the Praxis, Wheels or Kcnc type BB that screws together.

I'm Fitting Dura ace 9000 chainset to Titanium PF30 BB. What do people recommend? The Praxis, wheels and KCNC are all similar weights at just over 140g, I think they may even use the same bearings.

Is there a better option?

Thanks

itsacarr

by itsacarr

So far my favorite experience has been with Praxis. I think it's one of the best long term solutions.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I'd agree that the Praxis is the best option if you're looking for a bolt it and forget it, no creak option.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but...

What would you recommend as a good PF30 bottom bracket (PF30 frame) for a BB386 crank (30mm, 86 mm length)?

JensW

by JensW

what is much better with praxis then with lets say kcnc, considering the price difference?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Jens,

The Kcnc is actually a very nice bb and we like that one quite a bit as well. It's certainly a top choice in the price range. The difference between bb's like the Kcnc and the Praxis is the expanding collet on the praxis.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

The parlee option isn't bad either if it's still made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanium22

by Titanium22

Ordered the Praxis, There doesn't seem a bad word to be said about it, and a 2 year warranty!

Thx for the replies.

zuntopia

by zuntopia

put out all bearings, and clean it. It worked for me.

Titanium22

by Titanium22

Update:

2500 miles on the Praxxis PF30 to shimano since August, and its still smooth and no creaks.

joepac

by joepac

I have two praxis works, BB30 and OSBB with no creaks on either bike for thousands of miles/ 2 years.

Trkorb

by Trkorb

It is worth referring to the Creaking Praxis BB Thread from a few weeks back I started, I had my problems in a BB30 shell, but have now Loctited the Praxis BB in and all is well. PF30 probably has less issues because of the plastic spacer.

Also the "2 year warranty" does not cover the bearings, and does not cover creaking sounds... I'm not sure what it covers really.

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

Same thing here. Creaking on the nd side. Bearings were smooth but the creaking got to me and no support from Praxis, at all, like I was dumb or something. I went to a true thread together unit, this one from F1 and now my ears are in peace! It's on the heavy side but worth it for the peace.

stormur

by stormur

C-Bear for steel/Alu/ Ti frames. Rotor46xx for CF shell.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Nobody has mentioned the Kogel BB yet. The cups go in much deeper and are an amazing piece of kit. Just got one locally, it is awesome. Ceramic bearings was overkill, but the seals are amazing.