Velocite Syn: prototypes available to buy/test

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Velocite are releasing their new Syn disk brake aero road bike for riders to test.

I'd be all over this if I was a size L (they're only making size L) but sadly I'm not :(

Cost will be $699 USD, expect shipping to be an extra ~$180, depending on where you live.

http://www.starbike.com/weightweenies/blog/?p=135
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Darn it, looks like no love for the little people.... :cry:

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I agree. I'm hoping if this preproduction release goes well they'll start prototyping other sizes.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

...sorry about the test frame size issue. As you know carbon fiber composite frames are made in molds and we need to make sure that at least one mold and integration solution works as intended before we open all the other sizes.

I am hoping for this to happen within 2-3 months.

V.

xsnailx

by xsnailx

I would be more than intrested in M sized prototype ;)

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I'll take a small depending on geometry. vmajor, any chance you're willing to divulge the geometries?

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Wow that's quite affordable

LeDuke

by LeDuke

MNX1024 wrote:I'll take a small depending on geometry. vmajor, any chance you're willing to divulge the geometries?

Same.

vmajor

by vmajor

The prototypes are only size L, and the main geometry measurements are:

Seat tube angle: 73 deg
Head tube angle: 73 deg
Top tube length: 570 mm
Head tube length: 175 mm

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

But need to also run disk brakes.

Shame.

vmajor

by vmajor

Yes, the prototype frames are all disc brake versions. Implementing disc brakes is a bit trickier as the standards are still new, routing is new, and layup is different. Rim brake Syn versions will only get in-house and machine testing. We are expecting to have the rim brake Syn ready before the end of the year.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

vmajor, are you going to open up all the other sizes for testing once you're done with L or you're going straight to retail once testing is done on a size L? Also, may you provide the stack and reach number of your frame? I believe that the frame will work with mechanical or electronic shifting and hydraulic and cable brakes?

vmajor

by vmajor

The other sizes will not be open for wider testing. We will test them in house just to make sure that there are no size specific issues that we did not foresee. Live testing each frame size is not necessary if we constructed our single size test correctly (we have) and it would take a very long time, delaying availability.

V.

squidsauce

by squidsauce

Saw a news article around about you guys using textreme, is there any chance the Syn is using it?
http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/textreme/n ... rame-40739

If not, is there any news in general about when you guys might be making a frame with textreme?

vmajor

by vmajor

We used TeXtreme for the Magnus, but internally, not on the outside. We may do so again this year. The second generation Velocite Syn prototype that is being tested locally is using something even more exotic. We are using Pyrofil MR70 UD fabric. Mitsubishi tells us that we are the first bike company (and still the only one) to have used this material. It performed well, but it is horrendously expensive so we'll need to find the best way to apply it once the Syn enters mass production.

V.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com