Q factor - SRAM crank vs. Hollowgram SISL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

Despite the literature from SRAM that their Q factor is 145mm and Cannondale stating that their Q factor is 144mm, the two cranks felt really different, i.e. SRAM felt wider. Hollograms have a reputation for being narrow too.

So I took a measuring tape to see what it was for myself and found the following:

SRAM Force 22 (2014): 149mm
Cannondale Hollowgram SISL (2013): 143mm

Now definitely my measuring skills consist of eyeball v1 the distance from centre of the bottom tube to the edge of the crank arm, so I would give a margin of error of +/- 2mm. But SRAM is definitely wider by a lot.

Anyone else with both cranks find this difference? I'm suffering from ITB knee problems so millimetres matter. With the SRAM cranks I get an inner knee pain which isn't there with the Hollogram cranks.

boots2000

by boots2000

So you need to be as narrow as possible?
Guessing shoes and cleats are already as narrow as possible?
What pedals are you using?
My experience is that you can get more width adjustment out of shoes, pedals, and cleats than you can from cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Seems strange that 3 mm difference each side (assuming your measurements are accurate ) is enough to cause pain. Also slightly confused as ITB causes pain on outside of the knee.........

deek

by deek

SRAM's cranks have a large counterbore where the pedal threads are. I'm assuming that you incorrectly measured to the outside of the crank and not the pedal interface.

superdx

by superdx

Looks like adjusting the cleat to be slightly closer to the crank is the easiest way to solve this, but having shoes specific for both bike seems a bit crazy, even if the horizontal distance is only 2-3mm off.

The pain is from the inner knee. It aggravates my existing ITB condition, which is in the process of healing!

Yeah I measured the outside of the crank. I guess if you knock off 2mm from each side then it is 145mm as advertised.