Upgrade crankset 105 > Red?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CBJ

by CBJ

So I have the option to put a used BB30 Red crank of the new model but 10sp on my GT Grade which comes stock with the new Shimano 105 11sp and Praxis BB for PF BB30. Trying to find out if its the right thing to do. The crank has some wear and its 175 instead of 172.5. Its not a show bike but will be ridden to work every day so the wear marks from the shoes is not a big deal.

Any advice is appreciated? Pros/cons?

This is the bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

It will be perfectly functional aside from the thing some people have about mixing components from sram, shimano, campy etc. Yes it will drop some weight as you won't have to use the Praxis converter, however you are not going to notice any weight difference in terms of how it feels. Shifting quality also depends on which gen the sram crank is. The 2012 group onwards has better rings then the old ones.

If you do a search several ppl have successfully 'disguised' their sram crank on an otherwise shimano bike by sanding the decals/clearcoat off of and re-painting it black. I'm guessing if its a work bike then it probably won't matter too much ;) The Grade looks like a pretty cool bike
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I'd say don't bother. You lose a small amount of weight where it doesn't matter much, at potential detriment to shift quality and certain detriment to brand cohesion. :p

victorduraace

by victorduraace

don't go red... use some CrankSkins to prevent heel rub on cranks

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

You'll lose some weight but that's all. You may/may not get any difference in shifting, I think 10s chainrings work fine on 11s setups. Do you get to put the Red cranks on for free?

CBJ

by CBJ

No I would have to pay for the Red cranks ($150).

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'd pass. I'm not opposed to the different brands on the bike (if anything, you can always sand and clearcoat). I'd be more concerned about the different crank lengths and price. Keep what you've got and go ride it.

CBJ

by CBJ

Seems to be the consensus from the people I have asked. I have a light dedicated road bike so weight is not number one priority also why I got the 105 and not the Ultegra version.

odin99

by odin99

do it. it is a similar set up to what i run (shimano shift/derail + red crank. i do run praxis rings). no issues whatsoever.

Svetty

by Svetty

If it was cost neutral it might be worth considering but at the cost you mention I'd pass.

Liggero

by Liggero

i wouldnt do it, or at least no without sanding the sram logos first.
Happy Trails !!!

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Since weight is not number one priority and at the money, I'd pass too. Because the switch to Red would purely be for the weight decrease IMO.

CBJ

by CBJ

Got the bike yesterday. The 105 cranks and Praxis bb is just too nice not the keep. I will spend the money towards tubeless tires and setup.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Shimano makes the best equipment. Doesn't pay to upgrade based on weight. Ultegra is slightly higher quality than 105, but if you already have 105 stay with it. The reason why some people go Campy vs Shimano has more to do with preferring the mechanics of how one engages the shifts(use of button etc). Agree that the small weight difference is not a reason to switch.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weenie

by weenie

sram red is as awesome as others despite the rampant fanboism of these forums.. but just the cranks.. not worth it, saves some grams and won't feel much of a diff. The red22 shifting if you were to get that is a good step above 105 (and yes, shimano's dura ace is just as nice)