Brake levers: Chorus v. Athena?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Which would you choose for a new build? For aesthetic reasons I'm going with Athena derailleurs because I hate black. But I am willing to make the exception for black (Chorus) levers if those smarter than me think they are noticeably better than the silver (Athena) levers. Any experience to share? many thanks!

wingguy

by wingguy

Chorus has 5 upshifts and 3 down, Athena 3 up 1 down. Big, big difference in use. Braking should be the same. And 2015 chorus levers won't be compatible with athena mechs, and vice versa. Though 2014 chorus would be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

To be consistent, Athena is 3 down and 1 up shift per click of the thumb button.

Wingguy is correct about the compatibility thing. It's 2014 Chorus or earlier with an Athena RD.

Chorus is "better" and it's also almost twice the price. If you value the multiple upshift function then perhaps it's the way to go. The left shifter also provides more trim functions.

That being said, Athena works just fine with the same ergonomics and braking leverage.

I use both, and am happy to ride both.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

wingguy

by wingguy

Haha yeah, sorry. I have trouble with up/down :p

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Dumb follow-up: shift up means to a higher gear (smaller) cog?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

OK - athena has 3 shifts to bigger cogs and one (thumb lever) shift to smaller cogs. Chorus has 3 or 4 (depending where you are) shifts to bigger cogs and 5 (thumb lever) shifts to smaller cogs.

This lets you do the Campy thumb slam - hitting both thumb levers at the same time to drop into the small ring while staying at the same cadence without any break in pedalling. For me it was the best thing about riding Campagnolo.