Best tire-sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

Sealant in road tubulars won't help prevent punctures, the pressure is too high for the sealant to work that quickly. If you're lucky, maybe you'll end up with 50-60psi if the sealant finds the puncture fast enough, but you're still going to need to pump it back up.

I've had 8 punctures so far and I've repaired them all with Stan's sealant. Maybe 20-30mL each time. You are still going to be on the side of the road for a good 10-15 minutes, but it does work with both latex and butyl tubulars.

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

I put Stans in my tubs, and while it has helped with small punctures, it definitely dries out. Here is a photo of a dissected Hutchinson pro tour. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

How old its that ^ from the time you put it in until you cut it open ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

tinozee

by tinozee

I've been able to fix a puncture with stans already in, you just move the hole to the bottom where the liquid gathers and blocks it. The one time it happened to me I still had 60psi and rode home 10 miles no prob. The thing is you have to notice the puncture before you lose much air. It's about the same as tubeless in that regard.

Buddysnack

by Buddysnack

KarlC wrote:How old its that ^ from the time you put it in until you cut it open ?

I put it in last season, so under a year.

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Why not use Slime (for tubes)? It's made for tubes, not tubeless tires, and doesn't dry out into boogers like Stans.

Zak

by Zak

Hi

If you get a puncture on the road is it better to use a inflator and sealant combined injector like Vittoria Pitstop or Caffelatex Espresso than having the sealant in a small bottle, inject it in the tire and then inflate with a normal CO2 injector?

sungod

by sungod

Zak wrote:Hi

If you get a puncture on the road is it better to use a inflator and sealant combined injector like Vittoria Pitstop or Caffelatex Espresso than having the sealant in a small bottle, inject it in the tire and then inflate with a normal CO2 injector?

it sounds like the pitstop method would be easier, but i never managed to get it to seal a single puncture - though in the process i did manage to get a lot of it sprayed out of the tub - i know others have more success - also, from what i've read it does not inflate to full pressure, you may still need to use a pump/inflator to get back to normal pressure

on the other hand, with the tufo extreme it's slower as you need to remove the valve core (and maybe unclog the tufo nozzle which tends to self-seal after a few months!), but every time i've used it the puncture was sealed, i had one worn tub that i sealed at least 4 times before i decided maybe it was just a bit too thin to keep riding - when i get back to base i always inflate to maximum rated pressure to check the repair is ok, 9 or 10bar, i never had the tufo blow out even at those high pressures

TALEO

by TALEO

ive always had good luck with pitstop

KarlC

by KarlC

^ +1, I just don't like carrying the big can around.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

salesguy

by salesguy

Carrying a can of pit-stop is the only time I can recall that I was stranded and had to call for a ride. Sealant went everywhere *except* inside the tube and I was left with a flat tire, messy hands and waiting for a ride. I wouldn't rely on it.

KarlC

by KarlC

^ I have heard of this issue and I had it once myself when my valve extender was to short, on my deep V carbon 58 wheel, I could not get a good seal. I got about 1/2 the product in, added some air and months latter I'm still riding on that tire. I have used Pitstop several times, it you follow the instructions closely it does work.

Still, there may be better products out there, I plan to try something else next time because I don't like carrying the big Pitstop can around.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Racing2

by Racing2

KarlC wrote:^ +1, I just don't like carrying the big can around.

I either tape it to the seatpost or put it in the back of my shirt. It's bulky but it takes less room than: an innertube, tire leversand & Co2+pump

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Stans say that cold CO2 prematurely sets their sealant - something to bear in mind. I would prefer to have a small bottle of sealant and separate mini pump for more control.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

sungod wrote:on the other hand, with the tufo extreme it's slower as you need to remove the valve core (and maybe unclog the tufo nozzle which tends to self-seal after a few months!), but every time i've used it the puncture was sealed, i had one worn tub that i sealed at least 4 times before i decided maybe it was just a bit too thin to keep riding - when i get back to base i always inflate to maximum rated pressure to check the repair is ok, 9 or 10bar, i never had the tufo blow out even at those high pressures

Another vote for Tufo Extreme, has never let me down when used.

Tried Conti Revo Sealant once - doesn't work for tubulars :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike