Best tire-sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zak

by Zak

Hi,

I want to put tire-sealant in my tubular tires to minimize the risk of punctures. What is the most effective sealant in your experience? Oh, and is has to be available in Europe.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

There have been reviews showing that Orange Seal and Bontrager are the best ones out there.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thin ... _4155.html

Another choice would be to create a "homebrew" solution, where you mix a sealant, let's say Stan's, with some glitter to act as a particulate. That may work better than just sealant alone. However, since you're talking about putting it into a tubular tire, you may have a difficult time getting it through the valve.

sungod

by sungod

only tried two, vittoria pitstop and tufo extreme

tufo extreme is by far the better of the two, it's readily available in europe

BUT i wouldn't put any sealant in tubs by default, unless it's for a special event where you really need to reduce chances of a flat i'd save it for if/when needed

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I find zefal sealant works well for pre loading but i only preload tubs that dont have latex tubes. I tend to use sealant once there is a puncture as it normally seals everything hut the big ones And then they are preloaded.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Orange Seal hands down.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I put Orange Seal in a set of Kenda $21 tubs, to see how well it worked. Got a cactus thorn in my front tire, on a morning ride. The hole sealed right up, and I didn't even lose enough pressure to have to reinflate the tire. Stuff works amazing, and I also use to seal up my tubeless MTB tires. So, I'm sold on Orange Seal, as you can tell!!

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Zak wrote:Hi,

I want to put tire-sealant in my tubular tires to minimize the risk of punctures. What is the most effective sealant in your experience? Oh, and is has to be available in Europe.

Thanks

I wouldn't put any latex based sealant in a tubular tire. The sealant dries out after a few months and then you're screwed. You can't get out the dried sealant.

tinozee

by tinozee

Been using Stan's in Veloflex, FMB, Vittoria and Zipp tubulars for a while and zero flats, zero issues with sealant. Finished all tires without issue, never carry a spare, just co2,

I would be willing to disect a couple of those to check on the sealant. I'm betting it's not completely dry.

ergott

by ergott

tinozee wrote:
I would be willing to disect a couple of those to check on the sealant. I'm betting it's not completely dry.

Would be very interested. :thumbup:

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I've had good results with Stan's running tubeless. After reading the SlowTwitch test, I'm going to try Orange Seal.

Zak

by Zak

Thanks for all the responces. I can't find anywhere to buy Orange Seal in Europe. Is it available in Europe?

sungod

by sungod

i've not seen it in europe

would be interested to hear if you find an eu supplier

sawyer

by sawyer

Have had the most luck with caffelatex, though the small cans are hard to get hold of in Europe IME

The Caffelatex sealant is probably the same or similar to Vittoria Pitstop but the delivery mechanism through a hose is better

I never pre-load - why compromise a good tub?

Only use for smallish punctures, otherwise chuck the tub

Usually only use half a can and it will seal small punctures

Don't understand the comment re it only lasts a few months ... that's a long time if you're riding tubs every day which I am
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

random101

by random101

Question,

Can you put sealant in one you get a puncture? I dont think you can repair schawble HT ultrmo tyres? as it has an inner latex tube? I had a small hole, all the sealant had then leaked out in the seams (material part of the tyre...

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Ive had good luck with Caffelatex (the liquid latex in a big bottle i have at home) and Esspresso latex(the aerosol version you carry with you on the bike) by Effetto Mariposa. from what ive read they are the only liquid/aerosol latex taht is amonium free and apparently the ammonium degrades the latex tubes in our expensive Tubulars after a while....at least thats what i read the owner of Dugast tyres say. must admit, i think i read that on the Effetto Mariposa web site. biggest problem now is i cant fint the Esspresso in Norway anymore and UK sites dont seem to want to ship it here or it becomes unreasonably expensive.

Ive also used Vittoria Pitstop once so far. It worked too. I normally try my hardest to wear tyres out as fast as i can so im not so worried about the ammonium thing. Hadnt heard about Orange Seal. I'll have to see if i can find some (im in europe too)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com