Best tire-sealant?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Suffered a "flat" this Saturday on my converted Zipps (tubeless). I currently use Bontrager sealant with a little glitter mixed in. I didn't notice the puncture until I got home and saw the telltale "booger". The tire felt solid, and when I put my air pump to it, I still had 75psi in the tire (compared to the original 90).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Fijigabe, do you have any recommendations for setting up zipps tubeless?. I've not seen a full tubeless conversion guide on here for these wheels. Did you just use stans yellow tape or did you have to build up the rim bed with gorilla tape too?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Hmm I always thought Stan's was the clear cut winner. Looks like I need to try other stuff. Flated my rear wheel last week, Stan's fixed it. Stage race this weekend, flated at the front at the cool down. Fixed it with Stan's... Then on the Crit I don't know what happened but there was a big "pshhhh"... and looks like it fixed itself. I had about 70 PSI after the race in the front tubular.

fogman

by fogman

I won some Stan's at a local race this weekend as part of my prize packet. I might as well try it. What is the procedure with using Stan's. Wait until you flat or put it in as a preventive measure? I prefer waiting until I would need it. Also, do you pump with CO2 or a mini hand pump? No directions on the bottle.

Edit: This would be used in Vittoria Corsa CXIII Isogrip tubular tires.
Last edited by fogman on Wed May 20, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Two passes with Stan's yellow tape (the wide, 25mm Mountain Bike tape, not the narrower, 21mm tape) is all you need. Also, I found that the Orange Seal valves are the best.

I've done several write-ups on it, and I think the NYVelocity website converted some 404's.

amb001

by amb001

Tufo Extreme has worked fine for me on the only two punctures I've had on tubular tyres

fogman

by fogman

I have read some online reviews saying that they were stranded because the Tufo Extreme had coagulated in the bottle and was unusable for a roadside repair.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

dastott

by dastott

Recently switched to tubs and fixed a flat Conti Competion with Tufo Extreme. Luckily I discovered the flat at home. Had owned the Tufo Extreme for around 8 months before using it and it had hardened quite a bit. Had to shake it vigorously for a while and unblock the nozzle with a needle. So, yes it works but best to regularly shake it and carry a needle with you on rides.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

-1 for Vittoria Pit Stop (went right out the tire), and Tufo Extreme.

+1 for Orange Seal, until something markedly better comes out (albeit never tried Caffe Latex).
Orange means never again having to glue on a new tub by the side of the road!

savechief

by savechief

I did not have luck with Stan's tape (1 wrap only) and 1 small bottle per wheel of Stan's sealant trying to go tubeless on the DT Swiss wheels and Schwalbe X-One tires that came on my Felt F3X. Over the course of several days and lots of spinning and shaking the wheels, I couldn't get them to hold ~40psi for more than a couple hours before they were completely flat. I went back to tubes for the CX season, but am planning on trying to go tubeless with 28mm Schwalbe Pro One tires once the CX season is over. This time, however, I will use all of the Orange Seal products (tape, valves and sealant).
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

F45

by F45

I wonder if inflating with nitrogen would slow sealant hardening in a tube.

I'm using the Bontrager in latex tubes with clinchers. No flats yet.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Used Stans for years without issues, but for the last 6months I've been using the cheaper Rubena sealant, and it seems to be just as good.