Dura Ace 9000 Front Mech

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Because, one would expect to at least try the two correct setups before anything else being recommended. And by the way, I've installed many of these on multiple brands (including one Scott of similar generation) and I have yet to encounter these so called "problem frames".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's not a first choice solution by any means. No one is saying that. It's an alternative that may provide better shifting only when the prescribed method won't. It's a workaround for sure. I have not tried it personally but when @Bikedoc suggested it the lightbulb went off in my head as a possible fix to a situation that didn't work well in either of the two shimano positions. His solution tells me he understands the interaction between the geometry of the dérailleur and the frame well enough to have even suggested it. Good for him. Next time I have a situation like that I will definitely keep this alternative in mind. You may never encounter one of these situations but if you do it's a good "trick" to have up your sleeve.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Well, perhaps we are just dealing with semantics then. You've made absolute statements on the efficacy of this workaround without any first hand knowledge. "Bikedoc" has suggested this workaround without referring to the two approved methods first. So I concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that neither of you had either read the manual, and declared that some frames just won't work with shimano 9000. I don't agree based on my experience and the fact that the shimano documentation does not talk about such a case. But I can't count the number of times I've had to fix bad 9000 installs either by lbs's who don't read the manual, or by home mechanics who don't have a clue. So, I'm urging the op, to try the approved methods first, then report back. Remember the first post was essentially an lbs that told him bs about his bike setup.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Call it what you want. I thought BikeDocs post was perfectly clear. I thought my post was perfectly clear. You've made some leaping assumptions which I'm not even going to brother to address. I've read that manual many times. I can install DA9000 perfectly in my sleep. And while you personally have may not yet come across a situation that is less than ideal (they are rare), I have, and apparently BikeDoc has as well. And of course the OP should make sure it's installed correctly per the manual before searching for alternative workarounds when that doesn't work so well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Some of the bad installs I've seen looked like someone did them in their sleep.... :lol:

In any case, let's wait for hopefully some report back on whether the op found a fix.

5DII

by 5DII

Here's an article from VeloNews recently that explains this front mech installation, including bikedoc's solution for when the 2 options in the manual don't work well

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/ ... tup_363733

goodboyr

by goodboyr

If you read the whole article, it theorizes that the reason he had to route it that way is that he didn't do the setup properly to begin with.

5DII

by 5DII

goodboyr wrote:If you read the whole article, it theorizes that the reason he had to route it that way is that he didn't do the setup properly to begin with.

I read the whole article multiple times.

"Brian’s is a bike that has the cable exiting so far to the right on the bottom bracket relative to the position of the front derailleur that the initial leverage on the derailleur arm is just too low in either of the Shimano-recommended cable configurations for easy shifting. Routing the cable over the top of the bolt from the left moves its path far enough to the left that it now has enough leverage to actuate the derailleur without the excessive force that Brian was experiencing."

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Here's another quote from later on. The initial recommendation was from Zinn and then here's what the shimano tech had to say:

"As for tossing out the instructions and just routing the cable over the top of the bolt, Murdick says this, “Intentionally routing the cable incorrectly through the derailleur should be a last resort. I’ve heard plenty of mechanics say they have similar tricks for derailleurs that don’t seem to want to cooperate. I’ve then worked on some of these bikes myself and was able to undo the hack and set it up correctly and get great performance.

5DII

by 5DII

So the question is should we trust Zinn (accomplished mechanic for decades) or the shimano tech who probably won't stray from shimano instructions which are generally conservative.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Do whatever you want. I know how I do it, and its per the manual.