Numbers on Campagnolo 11 speed spacers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

excel11

by excel11

What is a "cold set"?

I seemed to be having these minor shifting problems only in the single cogs. Therefore, I am guessing I have either a 1.) hanger-alignment problem or 2.) a spacer problem.
What happened to you after you fell? - Steve Porino
"I got back up and started chasing" - Geraint Thomas

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

excel11

by excel11

I purchases a used Campagnolo Rear Derailleur Hanger Alignment tool. Does anyone know where I can find a users manual online?

em3

by em3

Cold set simply means bending the material without applying heat....old welders term referring to bending material after hot welds were cooled and set. No offense, but it appears u r heading in to uncharted waters of bike wrenching with a limited skill set. While aligning a hanger is not that difficult u do need to have some finesse in how much u bend the hanger and remember that with aluminum u essentially get one or two cold set attempts after which it weakens significantly. While Campagnolo tools are amazing the R-tool is a bit outdated and there are many other hanger alignment tools that get the job done with better precision ( e.g. Park DAG-1). With the R- tool u will need to hand hold a pair of calipers against the alignment bar as u move around the wheel, which for a novice may b difficult (again, no offense). The better hanger alignment tools have the sliding alignment gauge attached to the bar, which allow u increased accuracy with less room for error (compared to R-tool). Google is ur friend....lots of how to videos out there. EM3

excel11

by excel11

No offense taken - thanks for your input. I decided to get the Campy tool because of one of the youtube videos showed a professional using DAG-2 and he stated that the tool had some "slop" in it. I am pretty sure the Campy tool will not have any "slop" in it.

I do not have any experience in torquing the hanger but I do have time, patience and desire. I have not seen any videos of someone using this Campy tool. Do you know of one?

Since the old hanger and new hanger have similar shifting "sluggishness" in the lower teeth cogs - is it probable that the frame is bent? If so can it be corrected by bending the hanger? Carbon 2011 Pinarello Paris

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

excel11 wrote:No offense taken - thanks for your input. I decided to get the Campy tool because of one of the youtube videos showed a professional using DAG-2 and he stated that the tool had some "slop" in it. I am pretty sure the Campy tool will not have any "slop" in it.

I do not have any experience in torquing the hanger but I do have time, patience and desire. I have not seen any videos of someone using this Campy tool. Do you know of one?

Since the old hanger and new hanger have similar shifting "sluggishness" in the lower teeth cogs - is it probable that the frame is bent? If so can it be corrected by bending the hanger? Carbon 2011 Pinarello Paris

here you go...starting from 2:14...

http://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Support ... _groupsets

excel11

by excel11

Thank you!!!

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Just be careful - if you copy the video, you are not making allowances for the trueness of the wheel.

Pick a fixed point on the wheel, such as the valve and use this as a reference point for hanger alignment, rotating the wheel as you rotate the gauge.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

??^^... It's assumed you always use a true wheel when checking dérailleur hanger alignment. No reason to rotate the wheel with the tool. Do a vertical alignment and a horizontal alignment.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

But in the real world, it is wiser not to assume. As in the Park Tool instructions.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

In the real world I would never even start to check dérailleur hanger alignment without making sure it was done with a true wheel. I do see that if a wheel was badly out of true it could make a difference however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I am with you.

You and I are not posting for advice so I don't take anything for granted !

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

True that! And while we're not taking things for granted I guess we should also advise to make sure the wheel is straight within the dropouts and not askew.

excel11

by excel11

Thanks for the input. I have a very true Campy Bora Two wheel. Only two months old. I still used the valve stem.

I got the Campy tool today. It seems there the dropout was off a small bit = maybe 3mm. I do not know if this is enough to get poor shifting. There is a small bit of wiggle in the tool I am guess around 2mm.

fishyskawa

by fishyskawa

Double check the lower cage tension adjustment. Put the chain on the small ring/big cog and check the gap between the top of a tooth on the upper pulley and the bottom of a tooth on the cassette. This gap needs to be within 5-7mm. A gap larger than that can create laggy shifting due to poor chain wrap. The easiest way is to wind in the lower cage adjustment flat head screw all the way until the upper pulley bumps the cassette (you'll hear a thumping noise while pedaling). Then back off the screw a bit until they no longer touch and are quiet. That should put it withing the 5-7mm.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I had a troublesome Campag set up several years ago - recabling, alignment - nothing seemed to sort it out. The frame, a Cervelo R3SL had a notoriously soft hanger, too soft for Campag and replacement did calm but not fully eradicate noise. This never fully resolved though, likely due to the short chain stays on this frame which seemed to amplify any slight alignment problems. With other frames I have had no problems at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com