How to change dereilleur hanger on my Colnago?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PSM

by PSM

I really want to install a new hanger on my M10. It is slightly bent. The problem is that it has been "painted in to" my frame. I kind of destroyed the skrew head after effortless try to unscrew the bolts... :(

Any suggestions? Drill?
Last edited by PSM on Mon May 11, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@PSM: don't try to "drill it out". You will do more harm than good and possibly damage the threads in the dropouts that the hanger screws into. Get something called an "Extractor bit" from your hardware store. It is a special bit made exactly for this situation. It will "bite" into the problematic screw and reverse it out.
While you learned this the hard way, you should take an awl or small pick and really try to cleaning out the paint from the Phillips head of the screws before taking these off. It's pretty easy to do exactly what you've done, but don't panic, it's a pretty easy fix with the extractor bit used properly. Also, just how bent is the hanger? Can you realign it with an aligning tool?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PSM

by PSM

It's just SLIGHTLY bent. I always get some noise/problems from the mid of the cassette and up when climbing. A bit annoying.

The new hanger has bolts for allen key. This is so much better if something happens to the hanger while abroad...

Is this still an issue on C60 and Vr1?

I will check it up!

Thanks.

PSM

by PSM

I spoke to a technican at my work. He suggested to warm up the drop out a little. With a hairdryer. In order to loosen upp the LocTite. And a little "bang" on the skrew. I will test that tonight.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

That is the worst advice ever. Do not do that. Please.
The only solution in this case is exactly what Calnago wrote a couple posts ago. Extractor bit or an "easy out" is your option. You will most likely damage your frame or strip the threads for the derailleur bolt on your frame with any other method.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

You can just straighten it you know, even putting a new one is no guarantee of perfect alignment and should be checked with an alignment tool.
If you don't have a Derailleur Hanger Alignment Tool get it checked at a shop, (even a new one)
Good luck getting the old one off, and carry a spare hanger if you're travelling abroad.

Edit just in case - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWiMcqR6e3w

PSM

by PSM

hornedfrog wrote:That is the worst advice ever. Do not do that. Please.
The only solution in this case is exactly what Calnago wrote a couple posts ago. Extractor bit or an "easy out" is your option. You will most likely damage your frame or strip the threads for the derailleur bolt on your frame with any other method.

Ok. :?

But the thread is in the hanger, Right?

Is there a thread in the drop out too?

PSM

by PSM

kode54

by kode54

first of all, i can't believe that the painter didn't remove the hanger before painting. what's the other side look like with the screw head?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

PSM

by PSM

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@PSM, yes you are right, the threads are in the hanger here so my mistake on possibly damaging threads in the frame. Still, it's not fun trying to drill off the head perfectly and enough so that the thing will come off with zero damage to the countersink on the frame. The extractor bit is a far better way, especially if you're going to fire up the drill anyway. The heating up of the loctite "may" work except I thought you've already stripped the head of the bolt? And loctite takes a lot of heat to break the bond (250* C, at least for the bearing retainer stuff). I've never not aligned a dérailleur hanger first thing, including and especially brand new frames, regardless of how high end they are. Just part of proper frame prep. I kind of doubt the noise is due to the hanger but I suppose it's possible. Have you actually had a hanger tool on it to see just how bent it is? It would be good to know just how bent it is before you pull it off as part of your troubleshooting the noise.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon May 11, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PSM

by PSM

Thanks!

250 degrees is too hot for my bike. I think. Maybe the glued dropouts will loosen up too.

No, I have not used a hanger tool. Maybe I should do that first. I just the guy who wants to fix things myself... :)

I will visit my LBS.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's great to be able to fix things yourself, but there are some basic tools for bicycles that are pretty necessary sometimes. The hanger tool is one.

PSM

by PSM

I know. I realized this now...

Thank's for your support!

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

If its ordinary blue or red loctite, boiling water is often enough to soften it significantly. Incredibly unlikely to do any damage to the dropout or frame itself.

If you are steady handed, and the gear hanger is toast, a dremel from the back of the screw with a 2 or 3mm bit in it will possibly do the trick. When the threads let go, or if the bit snags, you might never see the bolt again. It'll undo so fast it'll disappear (done it before on an M3 bolt, saved what it was screwed into as well).

If you manage to drill all the way through (unlikely) the remaining material on the bolt will be easy to remove manually. Just drive a slightly too big torx in and tweak it out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com