Bib shorts - Rapha Pro Team v Etxeondo Attaque Gor

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Valbrona wrote:Rapha doesn't have many fans. It's not a hate campaign. The older and wiser cyclist can spot overpriced products and Mickey Mouse marketing. Rapha sell a range of goods. They make nothing themselves but outsource all their production.

Etxe Ondo = quality materials, wide product range, different fits (on some tops), good pricing, all made in the same factory by the same people so you get continuity in sizing, long history of involvement with pro cycling teams ... and no Mickey Mouse marketing.

I was out cycling with an `older and wiser' and actually extremely fit cyclist last year, and he was wearing Rapha bib-shorts. I asked him for his opinion, he said he'd tried various makes and Assos had been his favourites, until he discovered Rapha which he thought were extremely well made and very comfortable, so much so that his Assos ones were languishing in a cupboard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Valbrona wrote:Rapha doesn't have many fans. It's not a hate campaign. The older and wiser cyclist can spot overpriced products and Mickey Mouse marketing. Rapha sell a range of goods. They make nothing themselves but outsource all their production.

Etxe Ondo = quality materials, wide product range, different fits (on some tops), good pricing, all made in the same factory by the same people so you get continuity in sizing, long history of involvement with pro cycling teams ... and no Mickey Mouse marketing.

I don't think Rapha are in business to make 'fans' but to sell products to paying customers. As they remain in business I imagine they are reasonably successful in achieving this.
Your posting reeks of prejudice without a shred of a grounding in facts. Incidentally, I have never owned, bought or worn Rapha so am not qualified to comment on their fit, function, comfort or value.......

ichobi

by ichobi

Not so sure why it matters where the product is made if the quality is there?
Rapha kits are of good quality. They offer free repair (how many companies offer this?). Their advertising can come across in a wrong way at times, but have you ever worn their kit? I'd say it's as good as anything out there on the market. The fit may not suit everybody, but so do other brands. I like mine as much as castelli and cuore.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I love rapha pro team.. Bibs are outstanding the current padding works for me.. Their older models not so much. I love the short or lack of a collar in their pro team jerseys too..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I have 3 pairs of Rapha Pro and they are better than anything I have worn in 28 years on the bike. Worth every penny.

TMz

by TMz

Rapha isn't elitist, it's sophisticated and well engineered, the attraction to it is that it's pretty much everything that cycling kit has failed to be over the years... And now we see a huge amount of imitators trying to cash in on the style they pioneered.

The weekend warriors out in full team sky kit (even worse the non-rapha replica team sky kit) are about the most offensive breed of cyclist.

I find the quality and fit of rapha kit great, I got a fair bit of mine from a sample sale when they moved premises but would pay full price (if I had the disposable income) knowing I was getting a great product.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Bib shorts are such a personal choice it really doesn't matter. I remember trying assos and thinking they were the greatest thing until I found some demarchi contour evo bibs. They were great until I tried desoto 400 mile bibs and (most recently) I've found sportful total comfort bibs to work the best for me. All of this happened over the course of 7-8 years.

It's tough to find what works without spending a decent amount of money. I could care less if you love your assos, etxeondo, rapha, whatever you choose, but I can't understand trashing one brand because it doesn't work for you. I still have a pair of etxeondo bibs, I don't use them for longer rides because they don't work that well for me. They are well made, however. Assos never really worked for me, I found that out after trying other brands.

Good luck figuring it out!
Speedplay is the devil!

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I think a pair of each will resolve it. thanks again folks

kgt

by kgt

agree with mdeth1313. You have to try in order to see what is best for you. That has little to do with the brand.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Well......after getting both for me the Etxeondo bib shorts win hands down. Better quality materials used. The cut and attention to detail is superb. The logos are actually stitched into the fabric and the chamois is super comfortable. As for the Rapha bibs, the best part is the chamois. The materials are not as high quality as the Attaque, the straps are not as comfortable and the logos are ironed on. Just not in the same league. Anyhow, it's been fun checking them out!

5DII

by 5DII

How is the chamois density and thickness of the exteondo compared to rapha?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Does the venerable Basque company market headphones made from African Hair Sheep leather?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/rap ... her-172992

Er, I think not.

Rapha: The epitome of Far East manufactured crap with an expensive label on.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Valbrona wrote:Does the venerable Basque company market headphones made from African Hair Sheep leather?

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/rap ... her-172992

Er, I think not.

Rapha: The epitome of Far East manufactured crap with an expensive label on.

Whereas: `Francisco Rodrigo, owner and founder of ETXEONDO, originally started his career working in a sublimation workshop on top brands created by high end fashion designers, now known worldwide such as Dior or Balenciaga.'!

Lafolie

by Lafolie

ha ha love the banter ! ;-)

Chamois on the Etxeondo is equally as comfortable. I would be happy to ride all day in them !

guyc

by guyc

What a crock of absolute shit.

To the OP - buy and wear what fits and that you like. Ignore the drivel above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com