Bib shorts - Rapha Pro Team v Etxeondo Attaque Gor

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Would love some feed-back on both of the above shorts. Thanks

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Currently use the Attaque bib-short before it got the 'Gor' marker, and have exclusively used Etxe-Ondo for about the past 30 years. The Etxe-Ondo top of the range bib-short is a couple of notches higher than the one the Giant-Alpecin team use and only compares to top of the range Assos.

Rapha = Mickey Mouse, overpriced, Far East crap typically purchased by impressionable younger cyclists new to the sport who wouldn't know a quality made in Europe piece of cycling clothing if it jumped out on them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Thanks very much for your in-depth reply. I was thinking the same. I bought a pair of the Etxeondo ORHI recently and have been extremely impressed. The quality is superb and very comfortable. Thanks again

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I got a pair of the Rapha Pro Team - gift, I didn't buy them myself, I'm not made of money! Anyway, comparred to anything else I've worn, they are amazing! A little on the snug side in a medium but I'm carrying a bit much fat right now after hardly riding for 6 months. I recommend them

Liggero

by Liggero

I would go for the etxe ondo, no matter what. As someone already said in this forum, it doesn-t really matter how Rapha products perform really, as the stink of elitism that they have is too much.
Happy Trails !!!

Lafolie

by Lafolie

thanks again guys...as always.....you can be assured of a good response on this forum ! :-)

benzebub

by benzebub

how is the fit from Etxeondo bibs compared to, say, an Assos mille?
But I could be wrong

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Valbrona wrote:Currently use the Attaque bib-short before it got the 'Gor' marker, and have exclusively used Etxe-Ondo for about the past 30 years. The Etxe-Ondo top of the range bib-short is a couple of notches higher than the one the Giant-Alpecin team use and only compares to top of the range Assos.

Rapha = Mickey Mouse, overpriced, Far East crap typically purchased by impressionable younger cyclists new to the sport who wouldn't know a quality made in Europe piece of cycling clothing if it jumped out on them.

How about some facts..... The Rapha pro team stuff is made in Italy. Infact in the exact same factory as the Attaquer kit.
I've used both and the pro team stuff is more durable and has a better chamois than the Attaquar kit :thumbup:

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

i have to admit that i do not understand all of the hate around rapha. i have been riding for 33 years, and am fairly experienced, so not a fred IMHO. in the past few years, i have decided that i should splurge a bit and buy nicer things, and i would say that rapha and castelli are probably what fit me the best. rapha is probably better constructed though, as it feels a bit more robust in a good way, and if you wait for the sales, you can get it at a good price. i ride in an area with quite a few good riders, many of whom wear rapha and would hardly be considered "freds." as far as stinking of elitism, so do a lot of great products, so i think you are just cutting off your nose for spite if you are unwilling to be open minded. marketing is marketing. that is how companies make money. you must be living quite a life, purchasing junk food, driving buicks, drinking cheap beer and avoiding anything that might possibly stink of elitism even if it is worthwhile. sometimes popular and/or "elitist" things are actually quite good.

with regards to the original question......as with most things that you have to actually wear or sit on, you just have to try it for yourself. everybody has a different build, and there are many people for whom even assos won't fit. (another marketing assumption that it is the best for everybody out there).

....and yes, their pro team bib shorts (which are quite terrific for many people) are manufactured in italy. and yes, many terrific things are manufactured in the far east.

Svetty

by Svetty

I would go for the etxe ondo, no matter what. As someone already said in this forum, it doesn-t really matter how Rapha products perform really, as the stink of elitism that they have is too much.

Rapha intentionally positions their kit as 'aspirational' and/or 'elitist' with pricing to match. This will inevitably wind up those with 'left of centre' sensibilities. I would like to think that I base my judgements on how a product performs relative to it's price. Life's too short ....

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I'm sure both are excellent. Perhaps appeal to different markets etc.

I was so taken with the Orhi bib shorts...I just wondered what their top end offering was like.

As for Rapha....never had them, that's why I asked. The only thing that puts me off is the massive RAPHA lettering on each leg. :-)

Broady

by Broady

As said, the Raphas are made in Italy, not far east crap.

Have to say the Pro Teams are my favourite bibs I've ever used. Castelli are the only other 'high-end' I've tried, have heard Assos are great though. Bibs are something I'll definitely not scrimp on and could not be happier with the Pro Teams, great styling, construction and free repair service if you crash.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Interesting because I've used etxe ondo for years and I find their bibs to be nice, but not worth what they charge. If their top of the line chamois is still that grey colored pad (which is what I have), there's better out there for a lot less money. I wasn't overly impressed with assos either and I've never tried rapha as I have no need to because I'm quite happy with what I'm using.
Speedplay is the devil!

Lafolie

by Lafolie

By the way.....
Etxeondo are made in Spain ( in house)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Rapha doesn't have many fans. It's not a hate campaign. The older and wiser cyclist can spot overpriced products and Mickey Mouse marketing. Rapha sell a range of goods. They make nothing themselves but outsource all their production.

Etxe Ondo = quality materials, wide product range, different fits (on some tops), good pricing, all made in the same factory by the same people so you get continuity in sizing, long history of involvement with pro cycling teams ... and no Mickey Mouse marketing.