Saddle like Specialized Romin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Some older threads about this on here, but nothing new.

Essentially the Romin is great, but the plastic bit near the nose is not. The Evo is slightly better, but not really.

Looking for: center channel, ~143mm width, and a tad bit of curvature. The new Aspide and some of the PRO saddles look good, but I have no experience with them and no ability to demo them. Any advice?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

I've been riding the exact same saddle and am getting ready to try a Selle SMP Dynamic. Did a Retul fit on Monday and my fitter suggested this saddle. He put me on the Romin a few years ago, but thinks some of the newer saddles are superior. He also likes the Specialized Power and the ISM Adamo. I tried the Specialized Power on the trainer, but couldn't seem to find a comfy place on it. On the Selle SMP Dynamic, it was quite easy to get into the correct place. I've been extremely happy with the Romin, but I have a feeling the Dynamic is going to be better for me.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Try the new Spec Power saddle. It feels just like the Romin but with a better nose and the cutout is more generous to boot. Great saddle.

Derf

by Derf

No experience on the Romin. I have a slightly older Aspide--and it's pretty dang narrow (mid 130's width). No idea if the newer ones fit exactly the same, although the shape doesn't look like it has changed too dramatically.

Both setting it up almost level between the tip and the tail (slight upkick at the back) and the saddle shape (hah!) tends to park you in one place, nicely anchored. I tend to ride with a hefty anterior tilt (up on the front of the ischial tuberosities as they narrow up), so the narrowness is a-okay for me.

Does not seem the type for a posterior tilt type.

Hope that helps

KWalker

by KWalker

BdaGhisallo wrote:Try the new Spec Power saddle. It feels just like the Romin but with a better nose and the cutout is more generous to boot. Great saddle.

I tested the prototype and while comfy, there really isn't a nose.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

AGW

by AGW

The SLR super flow has a curve that's not evident in online pictures, definitely not flat like the regular SLR.

Edit: The old SSM Mantra also has a slight dip which isn't seen online. Every one of these I've seen in person has atleast a degree or two of hammock on the middle.
Last edited by AGW on Mon May 11, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Try Bontrager Hilo XXX and come back and tell me it's not the best thing your a*s has been seated on ;-)
Don't bother with the fact they say it's for a TT. It's superb for road cycling!
http://www.bontrager.com/model/11791
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

em3

by em3

Try Bontrager Serano....no cutout but similar profile and minimal padding in the right places

hobe

by hobe

I went from the Romin to the Pro Turnix AF 142mm and found it to be a much better fit for me. No good demo options but you may be able to find some cheap ones on ebay.

otoman

by otoman

I have multiple Romins (Romini? :P ) on my bikes. I got a Specialized MTB and it came stock with the Phenom saddle. It has an ever so slightly flatter profile than the Romin -- it almost appears the Power has the same profile as the Romin with its nose amputated and a wider cutout.... Anyhow, I really like the Phenom. FWIW, it seems to agree with my Romin shaped taint as well.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

KWalker wrote:
Essentially the Romin is great, but the plastic bit near the nose is not. The Evo is slightly better, but not really.

Looking for: center channel, ~143mm width, and a tad bit of curvature. The new Aspide and some of the PRO saddles look good, but I have no experience with them and no ability to demo them. Any advice?

@Kwalker: I have the new Romin Pro on all my bikes now and really like it. I did try the Aspide FX Carbon for a week or two but found the ridge on the sides of the center cutout to be too pronounced. That's when I switched to the Romin Pro and haven't looked back. What do you mean about the plastic bit near the nose not being so great? Or do you mean the part of the shell in the center of the channel that starts about 2" back from the nose? I hadn't even noticed that or felt it. But I got the saddle mainly for its profile and fit (for me) and was never really bothered with having the open center channel or not. Although the opening sure makes adjusting finicky seatposts a lot easier since a lot of seatpost bolts can be accessed through that channel.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KWalker

by KWalker

Yup, that same plastic piece. I don't quite get why its even there.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

headwind816

by headwind816

Have you looked at the Williams Cycling saddles? I have been tempted to try the demo program.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

I have the Romin S-Works on one bike and the new Aspine Carbon FX on 2 others. I find them equally comfy. In fact, probably prefer the Aspide a bit more as it's lighter.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com