Saddle like Specialized Romin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I went from the Romin evo on both bikes to the new Power saddle on both. I wont be changjng any tome soon, they fit me perfectly. Could be another option to try?
Using Tapatalk

justaute

by justaute

Hope y'all don't mind my reviving this thread.

I've been using Selle Italia SLR Superflow (145mm). Anyone in this thread has tried the SLR? I have a pretty muscular build with big thighs (6'1" & 205 lbs) and the wings of the SLR would sometimes rub my inner-thighs. The saddles in this thread (e.g. Power, Aspide, Bontrager) all look pretty interesting. Of course, as it's tough to try them all, any suggestions or insights -- especially using the SLR as a reference -- is much appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AGW

by AGW

Have you tried the narrower superflow (mine is 135 I believe)?

justaute

by justaute

No. I did try other saddles (e.g. Romin) that have similar width and they were two narrow. I have wide sit-bones and have thick upper thighs -- definitely not a weenie. :)

AGW wrote:Have you tried the narrower superflow (mine is 135 I believe)?

johnnyb2

by johnnyb2

Similar to you I have larger thighs, 5'11" and 81kg. Have both the Selle SMP Dynamic and Drakon. Prefer the reduced padding of the Dynamic, the added padding of the Drakon seems to widen the saddle a bit too much for me. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The Spec Power saddle is perfect for those with larger thighs. With no nose to speak of, there's nothing to rub against for those of us who are blessed with larger thighs.

KWalker

by KWalker

I find thigh rub has far less to do with thigh size and saddle nose size and much more with proper fit and positioning. In cases where I've seen a lot of rub and wear on posts and rails the rider had the saddle positioned a bit too far back and thus often a bit too low, which caused their knees and thighs to rise higher throughout the stroke.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

justaute

by justaute

For me, the rub is actually near the rear of the saddle where the "wings" are extended, not near the nose. Given the width of my sit-bones, I moved the saddle a bit forward so I can sit on the widest part of the saddle. Even though the SLR Superflow 145 is relatively flat, it's still contoured down-ward toward the edges of the saddle.

Ideally, I think, the saddle that would fit "me" is one that is wide, is almost flat, has a wide cut-out (e.g. SLR, Power), and has a sharp drop on the edges.

ricerocket

by ricerocket

Anyone find the Power in stock? I like that it's a carbon shell, given that the plastic Toupe shells were known to have a fixed lifespan.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

Specialized have updated the Romin Evo for 2016, its shorter in the nose and has a cutout more like the power. It looks very neat too. Check it out.
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftb/sa ... in-evo-pro

5DII

by 5DII

Jhomewood wrote:Specialized have updated the Romin Evo for 2016, its shorter in the nose and has a cutout more like the power. It looks very neat too. Check it out.
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftb/sa ... in-evo-pro

That's interesting. I wonder what the difference between the 2 are now? They look very similar

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Again no 130mm width. And heavy.

We just want the original Romin Pro 130mm back...

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Here's my experience...
SMP Stratos - Curve too pronounced, hard.
Romin - Curve too pronounced, cut-out not large enough.
Toupe - Too flat.
Old Phenom - Great saddle, but too flat for me now.
SLR (both widths) - Great cut out, issue for me was that (looking from the top) the transition from narrow front, to wide back was too pronounced, like a step almost. Also too hard.
San Marco Mantra - Cut out too big and too flat.
Antares VS - Cut out did nothing for me, found it too much like a traditional saddle.
Antares VS X - Super deep channel, liking, well padded, bit flat. Would be great for CX (until the channel fills with mud).
Aspide 130mm - Liked it, but too hard on the sit bones, a bit narrow, so....
Aspide 143mm - Loving it so far, slightly hard, but shape for a normal looking saddle is going to be as good as it gets for me I feel. The curve feels good and feels less pronounced in the saddle than it looks. Curve is between Romin and Toupe.

Hope that helps.

KWalker

by KWalker

Been on the Power but ordered the new Romin to test out. Looks like a winner. Same cutout and nose shape, but with an actual nose. According to some guys that have been on it for a while it feels identical (they were all on the Power or helped develop it)
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5DII

by 5DII

I like a flatter saddle so I wonder if they will make the Toupe with a similar cutout?