FSA Crankset VERY tight fit in Ceramic PF30 BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

syncmaster

by syncmaster

I attempted to install a BBright FSA crankset and Ceramic BB on my BBright specific frame and the bearing clearance around the spindle was incredibly tight. So much so that one of the BB cups got stuck on the spindle. It turned into a big mess with the bearing popping out of the BB cup however I was able to install the whole thing by using a rubber mallet to slowly move the bearing flush against the spider, then I pressed the whole assembly into the BB cups that were in the frame.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Or is it even a problem? Is the clearance supposed to be that tight? From everything I've seen it's seemed liked slight resistance to get the spindle through the BB but nowhere near how much I was encountering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I know that if the bearings are not seated straight/ parallel, it can be like this. But this would be easier to apply to a direct fit frame which i guess you haven't with BB Right.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Yes. Depending on crank the tolerances could stack up. Next time you remove or install use this trick to slightly shrink the crank shaft for easy install or removal: take a can of compressed air, and while holding upside down spray inside the hollow shaft. The expanding propellant will come out super cold and cool the shaft enough for it to slightly shrink.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Thanks for the tips! I was trying to think of some way I could expand the bearing with heat but shrinking the spindle seems like an interesting option... Though could that weaken the shaft?

I was also reading that some people suggested using automotive gear pullers to get stuck bearings off?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have heard of freezing spindles etc, and I suppose that might work, but I think if it's that hard to get through, it is more likely a slight misalignment of the bearings in the shell, which is very common when you have two pressfit sides to the whole thing. I took on a problematic Cannondale with pressfit cups and damn, like you say, took a mallet to get the whole assembly apart. I can see a light tap or two, but it took a good amount of force. When I reinstalled the whole thing using a proper press and aligning cups (threw away the delrin crap pf30 cups and used a Chris King alloy PF30 BB instead), the spindle could be installed all the way through by hand and has been trouble free ever since with no creaking and no premature bearing wear. Knock on wood.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Easy to try, and its worked for me on several bikes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

And no doubt you can get it in easier that way. Just saying if you have to resort to that, it's a good indication that the bearings may not be perfectly aligned, not an unusual circumstance with PF30 cups. I'd rather have it go in smoothly (and it is a snug fit for sure), than have to use force or freeze things to shrink them in order for them to fit. Because you may get them in, but they'll expand against the misaligned bearings and you'll still get premature bearing wear because of it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I guess the issue is whether this is due to misalignment or just tolerance. Some of the installs I've done using this method because of how tough they were are still in service after 3 years with bearings still fine. I guess in those cases it was not misalignment.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, who knows. I'm really not a fan of any of the press fit BB's to date. I'd say they've created more problems than they've solved, except that would imply there was a problem in the first place. And there wasn't.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Well, I can't argue with that! [emoji4]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com