New 2016 Cannonade Evo and CAAD later this year

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lwrncc

by lwrncc

prendrefeu wrote:The Cannondale BB "standard" BB30a is a bit different than normal BB30...

So is a SRAM Red BB30 crankset compatible with it?

Internet search hasn't provided a clear answer, or example - the closest I could see was a mention of a Force22 crankset compatibility, or conversions down to GXP, but I'm interested in taking a SRAM Red BB30 crankset to the BB30a standard.

Any help?

Thanks.

AFAIK, You will be able to use a GXP with adapter cups, but not BB30. BB30a requires longer spindle and the non drive crank arm geometry is different.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/

goodboyr

by goodboyr

prendrefeu wrote:The Cannondale BB "standard" BB30a is a bit different than normal BB30...

Internet search hasn't provided a clear answer, or example - the closest I could see was a mention of a Force22 crankset compatibility, or conversions down to GXP, but I'm interested in taking a SRAM Red BB30 crankset to the BB30a standard.

Any help?

Thanks.

You will be fine. The difference is 5mm on the nds. If needed you can remove the threaded preload adjuster and use wave washers instead to make up the difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks goodboyr and camw
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

superdx wrote:Just got back from a trip to Tokyo, Y's Road in Shinjuku had the 2016 SS EVO HM frames for sale individually. They were around 460,000 yen which is approx. US$4600. That's retail list price, I'm guessing that there would have been some holiday discounts. There were signs everywhere saying 20% off etc and some credit card incentives too.

Almost pulled the trigger but wife was beside me so my hand would have been chopped off along with my credit card :( It was the silver/black frame with the green highlights. Seemed to include the 25.4mm FSA seatpost as well.

That is 100,000yen more than the 2014/2015 Hi-mod Evo framesets, and 60,000yen more than the original 2012 framesets.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Regarding the BB30a:

I just recently went down that road when I attempted to install my Rotor cranks on my Caad12. I managed to get it to work with some random spacers thrown in. Chainline might not be as perfect as the Sl cranks were, but it's had no problems thus far. I can go into more detail with the spacers if needed.
Instagram @seanblurr

lwrncc

by lwrncc

seanblurr wrote:Regarding the BB30a:

I just recently went down that road when I attempted to install my Rotor cranks on my Caad12. I managed to get it to work with some random spacers thrown in. Chainline might not be as perfect as the Sl cranks were, but it's had no problems thus far. I can go into more detail with the spacers if needed.

Have you measured the Q factor? Please shares your measurements if you have, thanks! Want to now how even the left and right is with your setup.
"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Any help?

Thanks.

Hey. I was wondering about the same thing (except that I have a shimano crankset I would want to use). Kogel has a special BB30a to 24mm bottom bracket for shimano, rotor and SRAM GXP cranks. I contacted them on Facebook and they confirmed that their BB works with the CAAD 12 and new hi-mod supersixes (at least with shimano cranks..).
http://kogelbearings.mysimplestore.com/ ... ale-bb30-a

Another option might be C-Bear. They also make a conversion BB for BB30a => SRAM GXP / Shimano:
https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bott ... e-sram-gxp

Both options are quite pricey, but I'd rather use their solution instead of random spacers.

CamW

by CamW

"True" BB30 cranks like the Sram Red Exogram with the integrated carbon spider have a shorter spindle than all 24mm cranks (Shimano, GXP etc) and some 30mm spindled cranks like FSA BB386 cranks and Rotor cranks. This is why Pren's question is a touch more nuanced than just finding the correct bottom bracket. Trying to fit a Sram Red BB30 exogram into BB30a is trying to fit two things together which weren't designed with each other in mind. This is why I tried to stress that it might be doable but is in no way guaranteed.

goodboyr wrote:You will be fine. The difference is 5mm on the nds. If needed you can remove the threaded preload adjuster and use wave washers instead to make up the difference.

You will DEFINITELY have to remove the preload adjuster and even then due to the threading on the spindle it might mess up the fit with wave washers. Maybe you could grind the threads off to help but there ain't going to be too much space to play with. I'm not sure how deep into the preload adjuster the threads go.

Image of Sram Red BB30 crankset in my Cannondale CAAD9 frameset: http://imgur.com/vZ6ebkD (probably includes a touch of parallax error)

CamW

by CamW

lwrncc wrote:

Have you measured the Q factor? Please shares your measurements if you have, thanks! Want to now how even the left and right is with your setup.

Q factor is normally defined as the distance between the pedal threads which is constant (unless you manage to change spindles) regardless of if your crankset is set up centered or not.

mythical

by mythical

seanblurr wrote:Chainline might not be as perfect as the Sl cranks were, but it's had no problems thus far.
What's your chain line then? Close enough to 43.5mm? What width are the spacers did you use on each side?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Deleted
Last edited by goodboyr on Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

CamW wrote:
lwrncc wrote:

goodboyr wrote:
CamW wrote:
lwrncc wrote:[quote="seanblurr"]Regarding the BB30a:

Q factor is normally defined as the distance between the pedal threads which is constant (unless you manage to change spindles) regardless of if your crankset is set up centered or not.

There is no threading on the spindle. Please don't make definitive statements if you actually don't know. The preload adjusters are slip fit on with a threaded sleeve that is removable.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

CamW wrote:"True" BB30 cranks like the Sram Red Exogram with the integrated carbon spider have a shorter spindle than all 24mm cranks (Shimano, GXP etc) and some 30mm spindled cranks like FSA BB386 cranks and Rotor cranks. This is why Pren's question is a touch more nuanced than just finding the correct bottom bracket. Trying to fit a Sram Red BB30 exogram into BB30a is trying to fit two things together which weren't designed with each other in mind. This is why I tried to stress that it might be doable but is in no way guaranteed.

goodboyr wrote:You will be fine. The difference is 5mm on the nds. If needed you can remove the threaded preload adjuster and use wave washers instead to make up the difference.

You will DEFINITELY have to remove the preload adjuster and even then due to the threading on the spindle it might mess up the fit with wave washers. Maybe you could grind the threads off to help but there ain't going to be too much space to play with. I'm not sure how deep into the preload adjuster the threads go.

Image of Sram Red BB30 crankset in my Cannondale CAAD9 frameset: http://imgur.com/vZ6ebkD (probably includes a touch of parallax error)

There is no threading on the spindle. Please don't make definitive statements if you actually don't know. The preload adjusters are slip fit on with a threaded sleeve that is removable.

CamW

by CamW

My apologies, I worded that incorrectly. Assuming you can remove it I think the cranks will fit. :noidea:

goodboyr

by goodboyr

No worries.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com