New 2016 Cannonade Evo and CAAD later this year

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stockie

by Stockie

I don't like the current junction of the top tube with the seat tube on the CAAD10. The top tube get's a little bit less thick just before it connects with the seat tube. It looks like it is dented or suspended
I Will make the leap

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

I think we will see the new/updated Evo within a few weeks. I read somewhere online that the new CAAD would be called "CAAD 12" and that they would be skipping 11.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

tinozee wrote:I just converted from long time racing on Specialized to Cannondale. I also manage our whole team gear and bikes so its a huge change for us. I am in love with the evo himod and the Caad10, it's hard to imagine what improvements there could be. Still, I'm looking forward to even more Cannondale options. Someone find a leaked pic!

I just hope they don't add any curves. Please no ugly curved, sloping top tube.

Of the two I actually thought Specialized has the better design philosophy optimizing each frame size , as opposed to designing a frame and then simply building it in smaller and larger sizes. The Specialized approach has some elements of a custom frame builder's thought process.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

53x12 wrote:I think we will see the new/updated Evo within a few weeks. I read somewhere online that the new CAAD would be called "CAAD 12" and that they would be skipping 11.

Hopefully not, missing an opportunity to make an easy spinal tap reference.

"CAAD get's turned up to 11"... I don't know, I don't work in marketing.

tinozee

by tinozee

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
tinozee wrote:I just converted from long time racing on Specialized to Cannondale. I also manage our whole team gear and bikes so its a huge change for us. I am in love with the evo himod and the Caad10, it's hard to imagine what improvements there could be. Still, I'm looking forward to even more Cannondale options. Someone find a leaked pic!

Of the two I actually thought Specialized has the better design philosophy optimizing each frame size , as opposed to designing a frame and then simply building it in smaller and larger sizes. The Specialized approach has some elements of a custom frame builder's thought process.

I agree that's a good feature in the new Specialied design. I was thinking that it could be neat if Cannondale would start doing that, bet kept the good looking straight lines. Maybe it's luck, but for me the 58 Cannondale fits just slightly better than the specialized, which has too much stack in 58 for me.

53x12

by 53x12

I'd guess we would also see Cannondale go with BB30A for the EVO and maybe even for the CAAD.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

tranzformer

by tranzformer

53x12 wrote:the new CAAD would be called "CAAD 12" and that they would be skipping 11.

Interesting. So good they skipped a generation?

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Like Windows 10!

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

There's probably a reasonable argument that the current 10 could be considered an 11, given the various tweaks over it's lifespan.

Would it mean the current 10 gets repurposed into the CAAD8 role? Because that would kill every other "budget" bike out there at a stroke.

Krull

by Krull

fromtrektocolnago wrote:

hi,
in which way is specialized optimizing each frame size?
the focus izalco max, for example, has different tube-diameters and stiffness-values for each frame size. so, every size is its own construction. of course complex method, but makes sense.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Stockie wrote:I don't like the current junction of the top tube with the seat tube on the CAAD10. The top tube get's a little bit less thick just before it connects with the seat tube. It looks like it is dented or suspended

Y'see, I like that. It reminds me that the bike has been engineered as much as it has been designed. I've always liked that about 'dale frames. There's generally a purpose behind the shaping and sizing. The reverse is why I can't be having curved top tubes and such.

Raineman

by Raineman

Krull wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:

hi,
in which way is specialized optimizing each frame size?
the focus izalco max, for example, has different tube-diameters and stiffness-values for each frame size. so, every size is its own construction. of course complex method, but makes sense.

I think specialized used it as a maketing thing. I remember when Trek released the emonda they mentioned that they already altered the layup and tube shapes for all their bikes so they couldn't really make the same claims as specialized despite doing the same thing.

prebsy

by prebsy

MisterMuncher wrote:
Stockie wrote:I don't like the current junction of the top tube with the seat tube on the CAAD10. The top tube get's a little bit less thick just before it connects with the seat tube. It looks like it is dented or suspended

Y'see, I like that. It reminds me that the bike has been engineered as much as it has been designed. I've always liked that about 'dale frames. There's generally a purpose behind the shaping and sizing. The reverse is why I can't be having curved top tubes and such.

I always thought this made the caad10 look like it had a belly :lol:

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

tinozee wrote:

Agree - not Cannondale's brand aesthetic. I think the only thing standing in the way of the current EVO being a beautiful bike is the current tapered top tube/seat tube junction. Of course a standard BB option would be great as well
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allenpg

by allenpg

That would be awesome for a new Evo model, but I heard the opposite from our Cannondale rep a few months ago. My hunch is that it's a few minor updates (aka, adding a disc brake model) vs an entirely new design.