New 2016 Cannonade Evo and CAAD later this year

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I noticed yesterday that Cannondale has updated their site with their new models.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Picking up a caad12 disc later this week as a training bike if the supply list on the website is correct.
Instagram @seanblurr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Local shop in San Francisco, Huckleberry, told me they got some of the Ultegra EVO model in last Friday. I look forward to stop by for a test ride, although they are not well located for proximate test rides.

tinozee

by tinozee

I wonder if there is a chance they will switch to thru axle for disc models before 2017.

mrtrinh

by mrtrinh

wheelzqc wrote:I noticed yesterday that Cannondale has updated their site with their new models.

Looks like only the hi mods now only come with an internal rear brake. All the standard evo's are external

Zoose

by Zoose

mrtrinh wrote:Looks like only the hi mods now only come with an internal rear brake. All the standard evo's are external

That and only the hi mods are the redesign with the 25.4 seat tube, new fork, etc.

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

djconnel wrote:Local shop in San Francisco, Huckleberry, told me they got some of the Ultegra EVO model in last Friday. I look forward to stop by for a test ride, although they are not well located for proximate test rides.

Please let me know what you think of the ride and the looks of the Ultegra model. Debating on that one and DuraAce 2. As I see it the gruppo (to DA) and better Mavic wheels (they do look nice being larger rim) are the upgrades as the rest looks similar.

djconnel

by djconnel

I stopped by Sports Basement (Presidio) in SF and they had one set up within easy reach. But I didn't have time for a test ride. It was a bit striking though that the Ui2 version was significantly more expensive than the 2015 model with Red (from Huckleberry). Anyway, good time to grab the 2015 Evo.

The aero shaping of the downtube is subtle -- I expected some sort of obvious Kamm tail/truncated eccentric sort of deal, but it's basically oval. The chainstays are obviously similar to the Synapse design, and of course the seatpost is narrower. The increased BB drop is of course hard to notice directly (a very subtle change in ride quality anyway). But overall it looked very nice.

I would like to go out there and try a short climb with my 2008 Fuji and compare it to my time on the Cannondale. I know -- not scientific, not fair, etc, etc, but it would be fun to do the test anyway.

morrisond

by morrisond

Is there a CAAD12 Rim Brake Frameset option only available?

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Thanks for the info djconnel. What models did you see ? Let us know is you end up doing a test ride.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I was told by a rep a couple months ago that there are no frame only options for the 2016 Evo or Caad 12 this year.

That may have changed.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

topflightpro wrote:I was told by a rep a couple months ago that there are no frame only options for the 2016 Evo or Caad 12 this year.

That may have changed.

Why do you say it "may have changed"?
It will definitely be the way to go for me......
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

wingguy

by wingguy

Because sometimes when reps don't know the answers yet they'll make something up so it looks like they know? :P

djconnel

by djconnel

I test rode the 52 cm Ultegra 2016 Evo yesterday @ Huckleberry Bikes on Market St in SF. I picked the route which went up hill the quickest, but that took me through the Tenderloin (not the best choice I realized when stopped at a red light) and down through Chinatown, then back. Obviously this involved a lot more waiting at lights than actual riding, and no technical descending.... in retrospect I should have headed off to Buena Vista Park.

But it seemed nice. The Ultegra shifts well enough, although the limit screw was poorly adjusted on the front derailleur and generated rub in the big ring on half the cassette, and the rear left brake shoe was loose and so I could brake with only the front. But the bike felt good to me. The handlebars were a bit wide for my narrow shoulders (I normally ride 38) and the stem was slightly short but not terribly so. So it fit okay for a test ride.

It feels stiffer pedaling: more like zero compliance instead of a small bit. Comfort over potholes at the same tire width and pressure was just as good. The bike was significantly heavier despite the lighter frame, despite having none of the weenie bits on my Fuji right now (wheels, seatpost-saddle combo). The trail is notably less and I like that -- the small Fuji SL/1 had an exceptionally long trail.

I got back on my Fuji afterwards and didn't feel as if it was any slower, or even preferable, just different, except for the trail difference, which can be adapted to but I like the moderate trail of the Cannondale overall better.

I'd definitely buy the Cannondale if I needed a new bike: the specs are good and I liked the ride. Everything worked. But only as a frameset, not a built bike, since the existing specs are either too heavy or too expensive.

Control:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lwrncc

by lwrncc

Flattened kamm tail section of the CAAD 12 downtube.

Sorry I'm not a great photographer.

"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/