Bontrager aero brake calipers (rear)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TiboMadone

by TiboMadone

Hello, I have a 2014 Madone 5.9. I am happy with it except for the brakes. I have got the front caliper to work pretty well. I have read the instructions inside out and am aware of the small 2mm Allen key needed for the squareness of the pad movement towards the rim. But the rear set up leaves a lot to be desired. It is vague feeling and soft, with little vigour as far as caliper release goes. I understand that they are aerodynamic and light but are they really worth the effort? Can I change for sHimano 6810 rear caliper? I assume the Shimano is much heavier though. looks a lot more complicated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Yes use the shimano ones.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

What shifter levers are you using?
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

sub7kg

by sub7kg

TiboMadone wrote:Hello, I have a 2014 Madone 5.9. I am happy with it except for the brakes. I have got the front caliper to work pretty well. I have read the instructions inside out and am aware of the small 2mm Allen key needed for the squareness of the pad movement towards the rim. But the rear set up leaves a lot to be desired. It is vague feeling and soft, with little vigour as far as caliper release goes. I understand that they are aerodynamic and light but are they really worth the effort? Can I change for sHimano 6810 rear caliper? I assume the Shimano is much heavier though. looks a lot more complicated.

I ended up getting rid of my Madone, I couldn't ever make that brake work well (I was running campag too and they don't offer direct mount). The Ultra or DA direct mount are the best option without spending loads on EE brakes. I never succeeded in eliminating the friction from the brake cable through the frame. I was also limited by crank arm clearance with a Campag setup.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I'm using dura ace brakes with campagnolo super record levers, it's pretty ok, not too bad.

spud

by spud

a few alternatives worth exploring - the FSA Direct mount brake, due out in 2-3 weeks, or the Tririg OmegaX. Both are roller cam brakes, with a potential advantage of not moving the lower housing when actuating.

truebeliever

by truebeliever

Im using sram red with shimano calipers, works great

stono38

by stono38

Bombtrager! hmmmm.

spud

by spud

Following up on this thread, I ended up getting the FSA direct mount brakes on my Madone 7 and I am very happy with the result - good feel, modulation, and braking power. Not the lightest set up in the world, but that's not even in the top 5 of my requirements.

spartan

by spartan

can you take some pictures of your madone with the fsa brakes

thanks
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

audiojan

by audiojan

Doesn't the EE direct-mount brake fit the Madone? Those are some very impressive brakes. Great modulation and tons of stopping power.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

spud

by spud

Yes, the EE brakes fit. But they require the pads be run close to the rim, which causes rub when out of the saddle.

spud

by spud

here's a pic of the rear brake installed. Hard to tell but I'm running 3-4 mm of pad clearance, so no rub
Attachments
IMG_0180.JPG

spud

by spud

another pic
Attachments
IMG_0181.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frankenheimer

by frankenheimer

Hey any idea what those 5.9 brakes weighed when you removed them?