Advantage of Tapered Forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Derf wrote:
Valbrona wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Valbrona wrote:... a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer would typically offer a slightly more forgiving ride.

Not necessarily.

So in what circumstances would a like-for-like fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer not offer a 'more forgiving ride' than a fork with a tapered steerer?

We are not talking enormous differences but as a general analysis opt for a straight 1 1/8" steerer if you have previously found that riding over roads in the UK has had the effect of loosening some of the fillings in your teeth.

I would certainly hope that the layup of a tapered fork would look a little different to a straight 1 1/8". Plus, it's a systems optimization--allows you to get a bigger bearing in there as well. Comparisons between tapered and non-tapered forks are going to be wildly specious, as I honestly doubt anyone outside of the manufacturers run comparisons like-for-like. For us mortals, so many other things will mask the feel of one versus the other. (I.e. there may be real effects, but without proper controls and blinding, there's no way to tease those out from the subjective experience)

I'm comfortably putting tapered forks under the category of "marginally noticeable, if at all".

OP -- I agree with others that sitting tight until you've got the matching fork is your best recourse. You'll be 100% confident that the parts were made for each other at the very least, which takes a load off the mind.

You may be right, but the logic of your own argument implies it's not possible - or certainly not easy - for most people to know whether you're right or not

What we do know is that (1) lots of people say tapered forks and fat steerers have a less forgiving ride (2) there is a logic to that being the case as they exist to increase front end stiffness

Anyway, wait for the right fork
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Derf

by Derf

Agreed that I have little to stand on; this was the best info I've got (and who knows how John Poertner got it):

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gfo ... 92#5501092

Tl;dr: ~1.5 psi tire pressure equivalent between the (softer) straight 1 1/8 and the tapered tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com