Advantage of Tapered Forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

0w3n

by 0w3n

I finally received my Enigma Evade frameset today from Shiny Bikes. The Frame should have come with a tapered fork but unfortunately they've sent me the wrong C-Six fork (with a straight steerer & a headset for a tapered fork). They are going to send me the correct fork when they receive the wrong one back, but...

According the the Enigma website the frame is suitable for a straight or a tapered fork.

Is there any major benefit to a tapered steerer? If not I'm inclined to keep the fork & get a suitable headset, rather than going through the performance of trying to get Shiny Bikes to send out the correct one

Thanks
Last edited by 0w3n on Mon May 11, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Be patient and make sure you get the proper matching fork. The answer to your question depends on the fork and depends on the frame. Generally it's a questions of stiffness which can result in better steering and more solid feel out of the saddle. What I would want to avoid is adapting a non-tapered steerer to a tapered headtube using an oversized bearing, spacers, shims, etc. Get the correct fork.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

0w3n

by 0w3n

Thanks for the reply Mr.Gib, this is from the Enigma website: "44mm head tube for inset type headsets, compatible with integrated or tapered steerer forks" so if my understanding is correct I wouldn't need to adapt, just get a suitable headset? or am I missing something? I've never done a build where the headset/fork wasn't already fitted so I'm a bit out of my depth. Thanks

dogg

by dogg

i don't really see a problem with running a straight 1 1/8 fork in a tapered frame with the proper reducer cup thingamajig, if the manufacture says its ok than i would have no worries.

the stiffness of a tapered fork is definitely noticeable though. the feeling thru the handlebars accelerating out of saddle, over bumps, tracking at speed - is where its the most noticeable in my opinion. but it also (in my opinion) can lead to a too-stiff and unforgiving front end. but that can certainly be boiled down to personal preference ..... $0.02

id probably swap for the tapered one just so i wouldnt have to fiddle with the headset.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

It would bug me not running a tapered fork if I had a tapered head tube.

Stiffness at the front end is not critical in terms of performance for the recreational cyclist; a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer would typically offer a slightly more forgiving ride.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I went to their website. Very annoying and semi-functional. While the images were scrolling by beyond my control I managed to spot a Chris King Inset headset. If you go to their page here and click on the 44mm headtube link all is revealed. http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

gravity

by gravity

I have ridden a steel frame with a straight steerer fork (Columbus Tusk Straight) and a frame with tapered fork (44mm HT with Enve 2.0 1.25). The difference is noticeable and the tapered rides way nicer.

Im not the kind of rider who would feel a slight change in my bike. For example I wouldnt be able to tell if my tyre pressure has dropped from 100psi to 90psi. Having said that, I would definitely feel the ride quality between the straight and tapered fork.

TMz

by TMz

You have a 44mm headtube, they are happy to replace the fork, and you already have the correct headset for tapered, I fail to see why you would consider running the 1 1/8 fork especially if that will involve additional faff of sourcing an appropriate headset.

0w3n

by 0w3n

Thanks the advice, I've sent them back to get the right ones. I guess I knew thats what I should do, I just want to get out riding on the new bike asap - feels like its taken forever & I expect it will be another couple of weeks now :(

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would not only focus on soft vs stiffer in front. It can also be like a balance in the ride. If the bike is stiff in the rear and softer in front it may be felt.
Mostly when and if you corner fast descending. If you ride into potholes or like a comfort from a less stiff front end, you may like it?
I would rather have the bike balanced.

I have a ti bike running 44mm ID/ 50mm OD. It runs internal headset up, external down if you would use a tapered fork.
This also build 10-15mm from the lower external cups. I don't like this application! I would prefer a true tapered head tube.

In the end, better you wait and it be right for you. Or you change forks and headsets and try what you like best?
It will cost you a bit more testing forks though as you can't return used stuff.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

Check out bikerjulio's post because although you have sent the fork back you might find that the headset you have is now non-compatible with the fork you are waiting for.

Measure the ID of your head tube.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Valbrona wrote:It would bug me not running a tapered fork if I had a tapered head tube.

Stiffness at the front end is not critical in terms of performance for the recreational cyclist; a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer would typically offer a slightly more forgiving ride.

Not necessarily. The advantage of a tapered fork is that there is a smoother transition from steerer to blades. What it does offer is a torsionally stiffer front end making for crisper handling.

Valbrona

by Valbrona

ultimobici wrote:
Valbrona wrote:... a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer would typically offer a slightly more forgiving ride.

Not necessarily.

So in what circumstances would a like-for-like fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer not offer a 'more forgiving ride' than a fork with a tapered steerer?

We are not talking enormous differences but as a general analysis opt for a straight 1 1/8" steerer if you have previously found that riding over roads in the UK has had the effect of loosening some of the fillings in your teeth.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

They should do. I think tapered fork, also is made to put lesser stress on the top bearing of headset.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Derf

by Derf

Valbrona wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Valbrona wrote:... a fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer would typically offer a slightly more forgiving ride.

Not necessarily.

So in what circumstances would a like-for-like fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer not offer a 'more forgiving ride' than a fork with a tapered steerer?

We are not talking enormous differences but as a general analysis opt for a straight 1 1/8" steerer if you have previously found that riding over roads in the UK has had the effect of loosening some of the fillings in your teeth.

I would certainly hope that the layup of a tapered fork would look a little different to a straight 1 1/8". Plus, it's a systems optimization--allows you to get a bigger bearing in there as well. Comparisons between tapered and non-tapered forks are going to be wildly specious, as I honestly doubt anyone outside of the manufacturers run comparisons like-for-like. For us mortals, so many other things will mask the feel of one versus the other. (I.e. there may be real effects, but without proper controls and blinding, there's no way to tease those out from the subjective experience)

I'm comfortably putting tapered forks under the category of "marginally noticeable, if at all".

OP -- I agree with others that sitting tight until you've got the matching fork is your best recourse. You'll be 100% confident that the parts were made for each other at the very least, which takes a load off the mind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com