Comfy Tubulars for Enve 6.7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

han1337

by han1337

I want to add some more comfortable tubulars to my Enve 6.7 Wheelset.

Just switched back from wide Aluminium Winter Training Wheels with 25c to my Sunny Weather Enves.
I forgot how stiff they are, my back is aching after a very long ride in comparison to the softer Wheels with 25c tires.

Do any of you have good experiences with 25mm+ Wide Tubulars?
Would this completely destroy my aero advantage with the Enves?

Thinking about SCHWALBE ONE 26c OneStar EVO Tubular.

tinozee

by tinozee

Mention what tires you have now on the Enves to start.

I like 25mm Veloflex Arenberg or FMB Comp CX the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I've ridden quite a few tubular models/brands out there but, FMB Comp CX with some Cafe Latex is my favorite all around combination.

jrobart

by jrobart

+1 for the Veloflex Arenbergs 25s. I also like the Vittoria Corsa Evo 25s. I have them on Enve 3.4s and the ride is great.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

han1337

by han1337

I am now on Continental Attack 22 Force 24 , but they are done.
Also the Attack does not look right on the frontwheel of the enves.

I use 90 psi front and back now. (149 pounds myself)

Do you guys think I can go even lower with the pressure?

On the winter wheels I use s-works turbo 26c with vittoria latex tubes, its a really comfy ride.
(at 90 psi)
The S-Works Turbo tires are the shit when it comes to cornering grip.
But they are gone pretty quickly and are prone to sidewall cuts.

MJB

by MJB

FMB 25mm Paris Roubaix are easily the most comfortable tubular I've ridden on.

I also ride the 24mm FMB CX Comps on a couple of other bikes which feels more of a race tyre than the PR's do. I've ridden the 25mm PR's on 3 different bikes and they really are the best at reducing high frequency road buzz on both steel and carbon framesets.

I weigh 80kg and happily ride 24mm and 25mm FMB tyres with 75 in the front and 85 in the rear - more air than those pressures, for me, does not feel like less rolling resistance and less air is simply too close to copping a pinch flat (I ride on lumpy rural roads).

Gum wall tyres are great for visually gauging the amount of wall flex / bulge whilst you are riding along. I like to see a bulge to see how much my tyres are working for me as suspension elements.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I am 154lbs and run my Enve SES 3.4 & 8.9's on 25mm rubber (Vittoria Corsa) at 85psi fr/rear in wet conditions. 5/10 psi higher for dry as my racing roads are predominantly chip seal roads.

Tristan (from Wheelworks) has this chart he provides customers when you get a set of Pacenti sl23 rims (24mm wide), but his best advice is "try lowering your tyre pressure in 5psi increments until they feel under-inflated, then increase by 5psi".

MJB

by MJB

dmoneysworks wrote:"try lowering your tyre pressure in 5psi increments until they feel under-inflated, then increase by 5psi".

Excellent advice.

I inflate for comfort first and foremost, perceived rolling resistance penalty is secondary for me.

Others will inflate to feel fast first and foremost. Body / bike weight and tyre width / volume aside, we all have various requirements and expectations which no chart or graph can govern.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I've been riding Vittoria Corsa SR and SC for the last couple of years (cheaper than Veloflex, FMB, Dugast here) and the 24/25mm Vittoria's are very smooth.

Definitely go 25mm or if you're sticking Conti put Force on front and rear.

superdx

by superdx

Schwable One 24mm tubulars have an amazing ride, but puncture resistance is quite poor. If only they weren't so easy to break!

Continental Competition 25mm have an ok ride, but they're more of a race tire. Great reliability though.

tharmor

by tharmor

+1 for the Veloflex Arenbergs.

However, I lose pressure in between rides each and every time. Not enough to be flat, but enough to require pumping up before each ride. I'm new to tubulars, so is this normal or should I be concerned? Both tubulars are running stans notubes sealant as well.

Derf

by Derf

^ Tharmor: the latex inner tube in that tubular is pretty leaky. Latex tubes in general are good for ~10psi/day of leakage (so you've got to pump them up every ride).

In some ways, this minor inconvenience is a good insurance policy, too--you'll never get caught out with super low pressure because you "forgot" to pump up your tires). :)

Oswald

by Oswald

Veloflex now has a Vlaanderen tubular available to the public. It is 27mm... Some may be badged Eroica instead...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com