Easton EC 90 Crankset failure warranty novel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toko

by toko

Unfortunatelly i'm owner of Easton EC90 CNT Composite carbon crankset 39/53 CT2 chainrings 175mm arms.
I'm located in Brazil,the crankset was bought in R&A Cycles by Phil Cabbad,i'm a loyal customer from him and never ever had a single problem with the shop.
After a low miles of riding,the crankset under load(when sprinting or climbing)make a noise and the spindle moves and the crank be looser,i tried assembly and desassembly any times using proper torque wrench and still the same problem.
After a close inspection at my local bike shop we saw that spindle was loose and tooked off from carbon fiber crank arm and have a play under load.
I contacted Brandon at Easton warranty dept explaining the problem and he replied that i must contact the shop where i bough the crankset.
I did it contacting Felix Calderone at R&A Cycles warranty service,send pics pointing the problem,serial number and everything and until today Easton didn't solve the matter.
I asked Felix several times and they told me that Easton don't answer...
It's really a shame that a company as a Easton don't mind with your customers and a lack of respect with them.
Here are any pics of the crankset.Paid U$460 for it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I never ever bought nothing from Easton and I will tell all the riders I know ( and which are not few ) to stay away from Easton brand.
Any mates from WW have a similar problem with this crankset?
Attachments
easton 31.jpg
easton 41.jpg
easton 21.jpg
Last edited by toko on Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Il Pirata,come te nessuno mai più !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I had an EC90 carbon crank that failed. I called Easton customer service and they had me send a receipt and refunded me full purchase price, even though I had bought it off ebay. I had a check in my hand within about a week. This was all at least two years ago and I think I posted about it here. I thought they had outstanding service.

Heres the prior thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84004&p=745865&hilit=EC90+crank#p745865

toko

by toko

Hi Rick,for me it's a true deception :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ...i started contact with Brandon from Easton in December 12th 2014 and Felix Calderone from R&A Cycles at January 21th 2015 and until today without a resolution...

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Yeah, my brother has the same problem with his crank.
Google it when appear and saw that problem is common with those easton cranks. He bought very cheap (most sellers sell with low price because of this problem) and don't call warranty because its a headache here in brazil with all overprice customs tax and shipping to send a cracked crank. he take off the rings put the arms in trash and bought a campy SR.
Another guy in one brazilian forum have this crank and has same problem later, but i dont know what he did.

P.S.: Eu poderia te responder em português mas o forum é em inglês, então sorry for my poor english!)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

toko

by toko

Danbjpa it's really a deception and a true embarrasament this situation.Was a expensive part when i bought it in a USA,i bought with confidence in a Easton name and history of good products and now this...
You know here in Brazil and around the world the worst thing for one company it's a bad reputation of not warranty products with manufacturing defects, delay in meeting consumers warranty, create difficulties for exchange defective products and not take their mistakes with these bad products.
I put a Campagnolo Super Record Crankset and never more have a single problem...only waist my time..with EASTON

PS:4 pé de velas destes já vi quebrados...lixo total,trouxe dos USA.Nunca mais!

grover

by grover

Hi toko,

That is a very bad situation.

I had one of these cranksets a few years ago. It failed just like yours. I had only paid $50 for it though as a second hand part so I didn't mind. I got a season of riding from it though. I put it in the bin.

I remember that this problem was very common. I believe Easton recalled all of them and refunded or replaced with another crankset (maybe SRAM Red but I'm not 100%) at their expense. That was before 2014.

I think these cranks should not have been sold by a bike shop in 2014 because they had been recalled. That may be why Easton are not responding. It is not their problem. Your bike shop should be refunding you your money. They should then be trying to be reimbursed by Easton. You need to make this the bike shops problem, they can then settle it with Easton themselves..

em3

by em3

Don't trust the middleman, especially when the middleman is R&A Cycles (the absolute worst customer service of any shop I have ever visited...try quick google search for mounds of similar reviews).

Just curious, have u verified with Easton whether R&A actually contacted them? Given that u already know who to contact at Easton try calling them back and verify?

Good luck, EM3

sharkman

by sharkman

Imho. no need to blame easton on this one.
Since you are a consumer and solely have a deal with the seller (not easton) the only one needing to solve things is R&A Cycles, it's not your problem how they clear things with easton.
After the recall a few batches of these cranks ended on Ebay and I guess R&A Cycles sold them to you after the recall (and by buying cheap
made their profit considerably larger).
So if you want to bash a firm I guess R&A Cycles would be a better subject than easton.

toko

by toko

The crankset was bought in December 2013 and i contacted Easton before contact R&A Cycles.
Easton told me that i must contact the shop where the crankset was bought,never talked about recall or tried help me.
The guy of R&A Cycles (Felix Calderón)asked me to send pictures and serial number.
When i have contacted Easton for the first time (December 2014)was less than one year that the crankset was bought.No excuses about warranty date for both -Easton and R&A Cycles and bad service and discase,lack if respect of customer.Look likes they don't worry that they name are on a forum about bad service and bad product's.
I would like to see if one of this crankset broken with one people...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Easton had great customer service, the best you can want.....until they were recently sold.

I'm surprised you were able to talk to someone at Easton. I'm not surprised that they cannot get someone to answer their emails/phones. Maybe they will get better when they get settled in, I suspect not.

It's a shame, but one thing for certain, a simple check on the cranks before you bought them would have found out, they are not reliable.
Last edited by Butcher on Fri May 08, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toko

by toko

Will have a big stage race in the next days with Pro,Amateurs and recretional riders and will show the crankset to everybody see this and take a close look ... they will be pretty caution buying Easton in the future.
It's the better think to do . :smartass: :smartass: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

toko

by toko

Today the guys from Easton contact me.They want the receipt.Only with this they can help. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Very nice,i live in Brazil and R&A Cycles didn't provided receipt to shipments outside from USA...nice way to handle the problem... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The guy from R&A know me and know that i bought the crankset from them as i send all emails to Easton...unaceptable!
I never think that one day warranty will work better here in Brasil than in USA...i saw any problens with Specialized been solved in less than 4 days...since components(wheels,cranksets)and framesets(replaced in warranty without embarrassment) :D :D :D
Last edited by toko on Fri May 08, 2015 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

This crank has all the hallmarks of a serious injury waiting to happen. Is there in the U.S. a state/federal organization that deals with safety issues of consumer products? If so, they should perhaps be made aware of this product.

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

I had one of this crank as well,

purchased it from bicycle outfitters indy (their ebay site), way long ago

I emailed Easton to see if they could help, but they were rather insistent on a receipt which I didnt have since I bought it from ebay even though i showed them the email that I got it from ebay.

I stripped the crank of its chain rings and bolt and now its sitting on my table as a paperweight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhpvj8jLltM

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

I'm amazed that you could still buy one of these in 2013 from a bike shop - they were removed from sale by Easton not long after they came out - I would guess no longer than 18 months after release which if memory serves was around 2009 or 2010. There was no big recall announcement - just quietly withdrew the crank from the product line - but there were numerous stories of people receiving refunds from Easton without drama when they reported issues. Dont remember any catastrophic failures - unlike a few other cranks of that time - just a loose spindle.

Edit: Out of interest I did a quick search to refresh my memory - you will find a few posts on this forum reporting this issue. My memory wasn't bad - they appeared in May 2009, by August 2009 there were already reports of loose spindles and by Jan 2011 there are posts that this crank had been removed from the Easton website. I hope Easton sort you out OK - I'm not a user of their stuff but they seem to be pretty good on customer service going by posts here. Either way I would suggest there is a good reason to have a chat with the bikeshop about what they doing selling it to you in 2013.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com