Suggestion for handlebar with internal routing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Fellow Weenies,

I am working on a project to clean up the Di2 wires on my bike (similar to this), and I would like to hear your suggestions for handlebars with internal cable routing. These are my requirements:
  • Internal routing should be through INSIDE the bar, and NOT through channels: I want to connect right to left shifter with a single e-tube inside the bar
  • It should have some neutral graphics, preferably black on black logos. UD-gloss would match my frame perfectly
  • I would like to use a matching stem, but if not possible, I would use a Force F109 stem with my current seatpost (Syntace P6 HiFlex)
  • Aero shape is fine, but not required. Short-to-medium reach and drop. "Anatomic" bars do not work for me. FYI, I currently use a Deda Superleggera. Something similar, or slightly more aggressive would be fine
  • Finally, I need space on the bar for a computer mount (k-edge) AND and an Exposure Strada front light (I train very early)

So here are my current options:
  • AX Lightness Ergo 4200: almost perfect, but pricey - especially if I match it with an AX Rigid stem. Not sure about the space for the computer and front light mounts
  • Bontrager XXX Aero: it would work fine, but those gray / white logos would not work well with my frame. Same for the XXX 31.8 stem
  • Enve SES Aero Handlebar: no space for mounts, and I really don't like the stem with those huge white logos. Not sure if internal wiring would work
  • Zipp SL-70 Aero: these look sexy, and even though they have some white logos, those are ok (including the Service Course SL stem). I think the internal wiring would not work (internal routing through "channels"). They would at least match my wheels (303 tubbies)
  • 3T Aeronova Team or LTD: same as Zipp (I think it also uses channels), but I am not sure if the bar shape would work for me

Any other idea / suggestion?
Anyone with hands-on experience with Zipp and 3T aero handlebars can comment about the internal cable routing?

Thanks and safe riding!

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

I'm pretty small sized and been having bikes with short head tubes and the cable routing with the Aeronova Pro (exit points much like the Zipp SL-70 Aero) is a NIGHTMARE. I sold the bars because the cables were all over the head tube.

I'm also not sure if the Zipps can accommodate your mounts. Because they do specify that their bars are incompatible with clip ons.

The bends on the Superleggera look pretty ergo to me, which is what the Aeronova is. You should also know that the Aeronova has a much longer reach at 104mm but there are reports saying it isn't really that much longer, check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=122780

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

doogie2304

by doogie2304

I built up a new bike a few weeks ago with the 3T ergonova ltd stealth. These have the internal cable routing (I'm using campagnolo mechanical). They come with feeder sleeves through the bars (but not from right to left). I did look at the aeronova but it has a longer reach than the ergonova which I was already using on the previous bike. I have a garmin mount and a light mount either side of the stem.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

The zipps are beautiful bars but you can really only mount a garmin outfront, and a small light at best (if you ride in the evening). don't put aerobears on them.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

ihs0yz wrote:I'm pretty small sized and been having bikes with short head tubes and the cable routing with the Aeronova Pro (exit points much like the Zipp SL-70 Aero) is a NIGHTMARE

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't think it will be an issue... HT length is 160mm

ihs0yz wrote:I'm also not sure if the Zipps can accommodate your mounts

Philbar72 wrote:The zipps are beautiful bars but you can really only mount a garmin outfront, and a small light at best (if you ride in the evening)

Yes... I think I might have this issue with any aero bar (Zipp SL-70, 3T Aeronova, Enve, etc)

ihs0yz wrote:The bends on the Superleggera look pretty ergo to me,

I was referring more to those "straight" sections which limits hand position in the drops to basically just one position. Such as Pro Vibe Anatomic, or Syntace Road bars. As long as it "roundish", I can adapt to most type of bars, but I prefer mostly what people consider a "compact" shape (short, and slightly shallow)

doogie2304 wrote:I built up a new bike a few weeks ago with the 3T ergonova ltd stealth. These have the internal cable routing

Thanks! The Ergonova might be a good option. Are you sure the LTD stealth have internal cable routing? 3T website is a bit messy, but it seems only the Ergonova Team has internal routing.

kode54

by kode54

i have the 3T Aeronova stealth and on another bike, the Enve SES road bar. although i haven't put many miles on both of them, i prefer the Enve SES road bar. lots of room to pass brake cables and e-tube wires for a clean look. i especially like the narrower top section and flared ends better than the Aeronova bars. i have the Tilquist mount on the aeronova bar and the Enve out front mount on the Enve SES bar...so no need to clamp anything else on. on the Enve SES bar, i have a Lupine Piko light mount which is about 5mm so i moved the bar over 2mm to add little extra to one side so i can clamp the thin mount on one side.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

doogie2304

by doogie2304

Are you sure the LTD stealth have internal cable routing? 3T website is a bit messy, but it seems only the Ergonova Team has internal routing.

yep i'm sure :D :D

53x12

by 53x12

The Zipp SL-70 Aero bars would work for you. I bought them and will be using them for my build.

My bars are 38cm. Went with a 600mm Di2 cable from the right shifter to the left shifter. Plenty of slack left over. Then have the long downtube Di2 going from the left into the frame (I realized I need to go a little longer on this one).

It obviously takes some time to get the Di2 wires into the handlebar and out the hole you want them to go out of. Just takes so playing with. Good lighting. Don't forget to rotate the Di2 wire (even up to 360 degrees) to get the end to move exactly where you want it. You could also do the string method where you pass the string through and tie the one end to the E-Tube wire and then pull it through. But I didn't have to get to that point. Just pushed it forward and back. Forward and back. And rotate at the same time. Especially when you are close to the exit hole, rotation was key there.

Just as a personal note, I went with the Zipp as this will be a dedicated road bike setup. If I ever want to throw it into a TT, I would just get a dedicated TT aero bar and swap everything out. So no need for being clip on compatible for me. Also, Cervelo (Damon Rinard) mentioned that the Zipp SL-70 aero was the fastest aero bar they tested until they came out with their own aero road bar. They supposedly tested a whole bunch of available aero road bars when they were developing theirs. I don't know the exact ones they tested or didn't test.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Thank you 53x12! This is exactly what I needed to know.

I was planing to buy the ParkTool wire guiding tool, but I will probably just try to do it as you mentioned.

53x12

by 53x12

No worries. Happy to help!

Just another piece of info. On my 38cm bars with 600mm E-Tube wire, I probably have ~100-110mm of play left in the E-Tube wire. So pretty darn perfect. Depending on your bar width, you would need to plan accordingly.

Just as a note, I am also trying to clean up the Di2. I am thinking about going this way so that I still have access to junction A while riding. I saw this posted up somewhere online.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ebakke

by ebakke

@53x12, which holes do you use for the brake cables?

Received my SL70 Aero handle bar, waiting for the e-tube cables to arrive.

I already tried to guide the brake cable through the bar and looks like only the inside holes can be used for that.
Is there enough space to also use these holes for e-tube(s), or enough room to use the outside holes?

No brake cables on your pictures.....

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Got SL-70 aeros on my TMR01 but i've had a mare getting the brake cables going through the channels due to my clunky brake adjusters. I'm thinking that actually what i need to do is remove the adjusters and reset everything.... but if they were less complex then they'd be less of a pain to set up. you also definitely can't set up with aerobars.

they look amazing and are the most comfortable bars i have, especially on the drops.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com