No Cipollini RB1000k in the Milano-Sanremo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

As I'm re-watching this race for the 10th time it hit me that Team Bardiani used the RB800 over the RB1000. Why? This race is perfect for Aero bikes and it seemed every other race team brought them out but no RB1000. The RB1000 is the pinnacle of Cipollini and you would think they'ed like to see it leading the break-away.

stormp

by stormp

At the shop I work at we just had a rider stopping by with his RB1000. It lacks stiffness in the rear section so the tyre had run against the carbon on the rear stay, so much it went through. This was from racing the amateur LBL and then put in the garage. Maybe they see the problem as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

stormp wrote:At the shop I work at we just had a rider stopping by with his RB1000. It lacks stiffness in the rear section so the tyre had run against the carbon on the rear stay, so much it went through. This was from racing the amateur LBL and then put in the garage. Maybe they see the problem as well?

WHOA! That's not good... I thought rear triangle and bottom bracket stiffness are supposed to be a feature of the frame.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

While I have no reason to doubt such a claim ... don't believe everything you read on the internet.

maverick_1

by maverick_1

RB1k lacking rear stiffness?
Best joke for the day :mrgreen:

I guess F8 and C60 is a noodle as well..no? :lol:

russianbear

by russianbear

Rider preference?

stormp

by stormp

I'll send you guys a picture later today.

Valbrona wrote:While I have no reason to doubt such a claim ... don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Exactly the point, I thought that the 1000 model would be the top of pop in both aerodynamic and stiffness. Stiffness - no. Aero - probably.

maverick_1 wrote:RB1k lacking rear stiffness?
Best joke for the day :mrgreen:

I guess F8 and C60 is a noodle as well..no? :lol:

Are you just being naive ? Or do you have something to back you up? I never said anything about either Colnago or Pinarello's bikes? I mentioned one problem with one specific frame, that I saw coming to the shop.

Edit: Oh I see you have one yourself, thats great. But doesn't prove a thing.

PSM

by PSM

PICTURES!

maverick_1

by maverick_1

Ya I have one, the frame is so damn flexy that I kept riding it till today.
Btw there are couple of Rb1k owners in this board, pretty damn sure they love the flexy rear stays as well, and seems Mario loves the flexy stays even more as he's often seen riding the 1k :thumbup:

Tire touching the rear stays, therefore blaming it on flexy chainstays.
Nice one but I'm suggesting you go for basic bike mechanics before working at a bikeshop.
Does checking the skewers if it's properly tighten sound new to you?
Well, I'm pretty sure you have swapped the rear wheels too since the chainstays flexed to the point of rubbing the stays.

Btw tire rub on chainstays is pretty new here so we probably need pictures, loads of it.

Cheers

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

the RB1k is likely a full on sprint bike whilst the RB800 a better all arounder? Its like saying the Tarmac vs the Venge so preference likely had riders picking the lighter, more compliant 800?

As far as i know, while I support the argument that its odd for the 1k to have issues in rear flex, it wouldn't surprise me if the rider may have had a bad frame.. Its entirely illogical to mate what was seen in the Milan SanRemo to that of the issue "one" specific rider encountered..

Just my 2c..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bfno

by bfno

Got to love a bit of owner bias don't you :roll:

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Geometries are different, might be a factor, even if pros are riding huge drop the RB1k might be too agressive for a lot of them. The RB800 has a more "conventional" geo.

Riding quality also?

stormp

by stormp

maverick_1 wrote:Ya I have one, the frame is so damn flexy that I kept riding it till today.
Btw there are couple of Rb1k owners in this board, pretty damn sure they love the flexy rear stays as well, and seems Mario loves the flexy stays even more as he's often seen riding the 1k :thumbup:

Tire touching the rear stays, therefore blaming it on flexy chainstays.
Nice one but I'm suggesting you go for basic bike mechanics before working at a bikeshop.
Does checking the skewers if it's properly tighten sound new to you?
Well, I'm pretty sure you have swapped the rear wheels too since the chainstays flexed to the point of rubbing the stays.

Btw tire rub on chainstays is pretty new here so we probably need pictures, loads of it.

Cheers

Im no mechanic, I never said so? Why choose to be all personal? Im not. You insinuate to much. I will post pictures later on. We had a bunch of the riders at shop out and try it, they all said the same thing - its not stiff enough, at least not for the knight65 wheels that were on it.

You can be as sarcastic and dumb as you like, but try to be more factual instead of being personal and immature, please.

stormp

by stormp

Im not saying all the frames have this problem, but this one do.

That my 5 cents, no need to argue with a guy like Maverik - waste of time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

That is some serious rubbing, no doubt about it.... Hope the warrantee still covers a replacement... Its always a pity when one encounters some bad luck with such a beautiful frame...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: