Seatpost, offset and comfort?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I am debating if to buy a zero offset post.

My current post is a own brand carbon Merida with 20mm offset.

Now I have moved my Fizik R3 saddle all they way forwards, I have found this has help with comfort on my bum, and found myself more efficient in peddling. I know on TT bikes there further forwards to open the hip up, but on a road bike will this affect how aero I am at all?

Now the Fizik R3 is carbon railed, with having the saddle thrown forwards won't affect the rails strength?

Thanks
Luke

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Personally I use a rip-off version of the Canyon VCLS 2.0 with zero setback and it really cushions the ride!
I also use a Dash Strike (carbon shell and rails), pushed all the way forward. I had the same saddle on Scott Foil's seatpost (has 25mm setback) and a 3T Doric Team carbon seatpost (zero setback) and I have to say it was much harsher than on the "Canyon".

About being aero, I have to say that's more of an upper body issue?
You could get as low on a road bike as on a TT/Tri bike but as you already know, hip angle is an issue.
Some people are fine with tight angles but I have to guess that generally a wider angle helps with staying in the position longer.
There's also a thing with triathletes benefiting from using a different group of leg muscles in the forward position which helps them in the run leg.

I'm pretty sure Fizik has markers on where on the rails you should be mounting on. As long as you don't pass that you should be fine.
I've read somewhere before that saddle rail life depends on its clamps as well but generally you want the clamps to have a wide surface of support to the rails. Absolutely no sharp edges!

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I find that keeping my saddle as far forwards as possible is mainly helping my bottom! As I do sit on the nose of the saddle more, with the way it's setup now I find I am sitting further back which helps comfort and my legs do feel like I am pedalling forwards and down.

The saddle is clamped correctly, but it's maybe 5mm before the bend of the rails, and I thought with so much overhang on the saddle would flex a lot where I sit?

Thanks
Luke

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Ever thought about getting a proper bike fit? might be worthwhile.

Jesper64

by Jesper64

Tenlegs wrote:Ever thought about getting a proper bike fit? might be worthwhile.

Definitely a worth while investment.

I realise everyone situation is different and I'm just sharing my experience. I use to run my saddle really far forward as well but after getting a fit, I now run it further back but with a lower height and it's actually more comfortable. Also now I don't worry about breaking the saddle rails.