Longevity of various parts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Hello, i was wondering for all you hardcore high mileage riders what kind of lifespan you see from various parts other than the normal wearable parts.

To make it easy we will say the group is Shimano 6700/6800/7900/9000
Parts like: Shifters, RD, FD, etc. assuming there are no events that break the parts.

Basically, If you built up a road bike using a new group listed above how many miles would you expect to get before you had to completely replace the whole group due to loss of functions? (Not because you want to replace it with the latest and greatest new group that was released)

Thank you,
Jon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I remember reading ages ago that dura-ace is rated to last about 80-90,000km - this figure could be wrong. I have put about 16,000km on my 9000 group and it functions more or less as new. The only real difference is shifting doesnt feel as crisp as it once did - there is less of a distinct big 'click' with gear changes.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Longevity depends on so many factors
- how well you maintain your bike
- how much shifting you do
- how much you ride in the rain
- are roads where you live salted in winter
- how often and how well you clean your bike
- any incidental damage in transit / dropped or knocked over
- luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

If you're willing to replace things like chain rings and jockey wheels.... you can get a lot of life out of the group. As in, you'll probably sell it and get something new before you ever reach the end of the groups lifespan.

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, the potential mileage is huge though obviously chain, cassette, cables and pads will need replaced more often

Beyond that the chainrings and jockey wheels eventually, but then the rest can go on and on There are not many cases of people wearing out a front derailleur or a pair of calipers
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: