On durability; SIDI versus BONT shoes.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Liggero

by Liggero

I´m a long time sidi user for both mtb and road, and I´m planning to switch to bonts on the road. I was wondering though, how do they compare in terms of durability. I´ve heard that the bont finishing is not as durable as Sidi, which can be still alive after 10 years of good use. Please let me know your thoughts, I bet a lot of users in this forum are aware about the duration of these two brands of shoes, which are in my opinion the most iconic right now. No, I won't ever wear specialized, and i´m not interested in any other brand; mavic, giro... Maybe Lake shoes are worth to consider too. I use speedplay in both mtb and the road, btw. I might switch to a xpedo spd pedal for mtb.
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Not even close. Lifelong Sidi user now on Bonts. Prefer the Bont fit and low stack, particularly with my oddball 2 bolt Bebop cleats. My Vaypors are fine after 2 years, but I have 10 year old Sidis that don't look much worse.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

shotgun

by shotgun

I've got Bonts, 2 years old and they seem to hold up well but I'd say when compared when my Sidis hit 2 years, Sidis looked better.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I am a long time sidi wearer that went to Bont and am now back on Sidi. The Bonts I had fell apart immediately. All of the buckles broke from normal wear and had to be replaced within 6 mo

Infin1ty

by Infin1ty

Same situation, in need of some new shoes.
Sidi Wire vs Bont Vaypor S (new one).
The biggest issue for me is that i can't test the Bont before buying them so i have to guess the correct size before i do.

kgt

by kgt

Sidi are very durable shoes. Can use them for many seasons. Don't know about Bont.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

No comparison, sidis >>>>bonts. Ive ripped out a buckle, torn through a strap and actually cracked the carbon sole bu the heel on my bonts, 3 years, wheras 10 yo sidis are going strong (but they do smell like a dead badger...)

yongkun

by yongkun

Sidi definitely is much better than bont in terms of durability and quality. My bont upper starts to fall apart only after few months, can see that the binding is not robust enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yongkun

by yongkun

Correction: not significant but the peeling of the upper is around half a cm from the sole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogan

by Bogan

I think your maybe option was the best, Lake. I have been through some SIDI's. Very durable, not very comfortable. Upper somewhat too stiff and not very pliable. Now sold. I have some Bont Vaypor + which I am in the process of selling. Not what I call a great fit. Just looking at them, they get battered fairly easily.

I am now using some Lake CX331's. Great. Comfortable pliable upper, comfortable all around and are coping with day to day wear no problemo. I am looking to get some CX402's as a second pair of shoes.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Have used both and agree with others, Sidis do hold up better. But my next pair will likely be Gaerme. I have a pair of their mtb shoes and the quality of construction, fit, yada, yada, is superb.
It only hurts if you think.

kgt

by kgt

SIDIs are among the most comfortable shoes if they fit you. They just need a break in period. After that they are as comfortable as slipers. Not a coincidence so many riders use em.
+1 on Gaerne. I use their G Chrono model (after Sidi and Vittoria) and they are as comfortable, much lighter, super stiff (sole) and seem durable enough.

sharkman

by sharkman

Switched from Sidi to Gaerne and the fit (for me) is way better.
Sidi's will last forever and spare parts (buckles etc) are easy to obtain.
Only downside to sidi's is that if you look for white shoes you'd better look somewhere else since
white sidi's in no time turn into a very unattractive yellow.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

The newer white sidis made with vernese (SP) don't yellow. The white plastic sort of yellows but the upper doesn't.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

From past experience you do need to replace sidi parts often... The heel pad will start spinning and then drop off, the buckle pin will drop without you knowing... But I agree it's construction seems better. Bont shoes have their seams exposed and that isn't too good, but mine is still good a few months into it, really loving its shape and hope it lasts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com