On durability; SIDI versus BONT shoes.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Re: original post: I have Sidis that are probably older than some people participating on this board.
And they are still perfectly useable, with a nice patina to boot.
So, yea, my vote goes for Sidi durability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tids0009

by tids0009

My first pair of road shoes were some Sidi Energy with the world champion colours, back in 2002, STILL got them and use them on the retro bikes. Brilliant quality and longevity. Can't speak for Bont's though.

Rush

by Rush

Can anyone comment on the durability of the Sidi MTB soles? How long do the competition soles last relative to the uppers? Is it worth shelling out $$$ for the SRS soles?

I'm not racing, these shoes will spend the majority of their life commuting with occasional single track/XC weekend sessions.

My only pair of Sidi shoes so far are on old wire road shoe that is currently 16 years old.

srshaw

by srshaw

I have some old sidi dominator so in blue with yellow soles. They are now completely beaten up, but did last very well. The soles are now cracking but can't really complain since they must be twenty years old.

mattr

by mattr

I've got sidi mtb shoes i bought nearly 20 years ago that are still serviceable. Ish.

Unless you damage them (accident, misfortune) they just keep going.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

No knowledge of Bont but plenty of years in Sidis and they are still going strong. Wore one pair out but they must be twenty years old.

Liggero

by Liggero

Rush wrote:Can anyone comment on the durability of the Sidi MTB soles? How long do the competition soles last relative to the uppers? Is it worth shelling out $$$ for the SRS soles?

I'm not racing, these shoes will spend the majority of their life commuting with occasional single track/XC weekend sessions.

My only pair of Sidi shoes so far are on old wire road shoe that is currently 16 years old.

Sidi mtb soles durability is good; the ones with no replaceable rubber parts is long lasting. The ones with replaceable bits is more grippy, less durable, but you can replace it. I noticed though that unless you get the real carbon sole of the DRAKO, or the old dragon 3 with real carbon fiber, it's composite plastic, so very nice for walking, but not as stiff as I personally like them.

Also, the newer vernice material, is not as durable as the old lorica leather found on the cheaper models. AND, very recent models, like the DRAGON 4 or the ERGO 4 for road, use a very cheap, thin material, that wrinkles a lot, looks very plasticky and not long lasting...

So to resumen, nowadays, in SIDI, you either getting the top of the line, specially in mtb, or the performance is not that good at all. The cheaper road sidi's are also good, but he mtb ones... not very stiff sole.
Happy Trails !!!