Tune Mag 170 play

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

perplex

by perplex

Hi all,

I just installed my new Tune wheelset (TSR 27) that comes with a Mag 170 rear hub.

However the hub has quite a bit of play as illustrated in the video and even though I have been looking through the Tune manual I can't quite figure out if this is normal.

Has anyone had the same issue with their hub and how should it be fixed (if indeed it is a problem)

http://www.perplex.dk/tune2.MOV
A Dane relocated to Sydney - and now back in CPH...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeviR

by LeviR

Looking at the video, No that is not normal. You may need to add some shims on the Mag 170.

p.s.
I am sure you already knew:
The proper way of checking play is to install the wheel on the bike and have it clamped in properly with skewers.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Fairwheel has shims you can buy for the Tune 170. That is what takes up the slack. Kind of the one downfall of the design IMO is the lack of quick bearing load. Are you sure that end cap is tapped in securely on both sides on the axle? I just use a rubber mallet and place one side on a protected ground that is hard and tap it to ensure it is actually flush the end cap against the bearing and spacers. Then start adding a spacer at a time and test to get the proper play in there when secure in the drop out/quick release set.

Mine has a very slight amount of play once in the drop out and secure, wiggle the rim back/forth real hard. That seems right. But mine def doesn't allow the axle to go in/out like that once the end caps are secure on the axle.

On the ground, you can push real hard and it will pop from side to side, but just a touch...your's is really out of whack if the end caps are secured on the axle properly....and clearly somebody didn't put spacers in. Don't knwo why they don't give the spacers to you when you buy them. Got mine from Fairwheel and they said if I need them ever, just let them know and they will send some. But why not just give them to me to start?? I paid for them! Rant over...otherwise, guys at Fairwheel are cool and helpful.

Get the shim kit and just do some testing to get it where it needs to be. Seems like you got your wheels from Tune or a dealer? Talk to them about it, and the play, and getting shims sent for free from them.

LeviR

by LeviR

+1 Agreed!

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

LeviR wrote:+1 Agreed!

What was interesting is that I wanted my rear wheel retensioned and strung up tighter. Brought it to a local builder, and he was the one that pointed out to me that when you put the axle/wheel on its side, and push real hard, it would "pop" and the entire axle would move just slightly. Flip the wheel over, press again hard, pop, back into place.

The issue with that of course is, the dish is affected by this!! So, yeah, this is an issue having the axle pop back/forth so severely. Or even just a touch, the dish/shifting could be affected.

But, I can say, once in the drops, the shifting has never gone off during a ride at all..meaning I never hear the chain hitting a cog/friction and it isn't staying "dished" properly once secured. So, maybe the extra quick release a hundreds of foot lbs force once clamped is actually taking a slight amount of wiggle out of my setup.

Just an interesting FYI...because an axle/design that allows the rim/freehub/cassette to move like that back/forth on the axle can screw with your wheel dish/shifting and is a bad thing IMO.