Headset corrosion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

My brother came by yesterday with his Bianchi Oltre Vacansoleil which used to be mine.
I had built it up myself.
He said "it's making noise on the steering" so I checked it out and the headset bearings were very rough, thought there's dirt and grime in it.
Opened it up and the top bearing was totally corroded which kinda shocked me. The top bearing was also corroded into the frame bearing cup. So I knocked it out with a bearing removal rod. It was pretty much toast, corrosion inside outside. Took it apart, removed the bearing balls and put everything into anti-corrosion liquid, sanded off the corrosion, greased and assembled, but it's a goner. Will be ordering new ones for him.

The model is Fsa Orbit C-40-CF-ACB. While this has a stainless crown race, the rest is not. I know there are some stainless steel ones, but not sure which.

Why don't they use corrosion-free stuff on a 3000 euro frame ? :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

probably best to go to a bearing supplier and get some decent ones, you should be able to find the spec in fsa's documentation

get some with good seals, they'll last better if you're doing a lot of wet rides, ss ones with bad/no seals can soon lose grease and get contaminated

even with ss and seals, it is still worth cleaning/greasing every so often if you're doing a lot of wet km

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Yes.
In fairness, my bro probably left it wet not knowing this. On other hand, the level of corrosion was pretty bad. Will check with the shop I got the frameset from as well.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Use a good waterproof lube. I picked up some marine grease and repack the bearings with that stuff.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

And some dudes just drip sweat off their chin onto the headtube area constantly. That will kill anything if the design of the headset allows the sweat to creep into it. I have been behind guys in a peloton and I thought it was raining - gross.

For these guys you have to take it apart, clean and repack with an overflow of silicone grease regularly.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.