Sram YAW: Worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickcube

by nickcube

Hi guys, looking for someone with experience with the YAW front mechs, and just an opinion on whether they're worth the 40 odd dollars. I'm running Apex shifters and front mech right now, and I'm happy with my shifting, especially compared to my campy set up on my other bike.

I'll be upgrading to Rival 22 soon (Still unsure of 2x or 1x) but with knowledge of Sram's pull ratios, I'm unsure whether I should spend on a front mech if I'm happy with what I have. Also, I'll be setting it up by myself, anything thats extremely important while doing so?
Cheers

tinozee

by tinozee

It's easy to setup with the stock chainrings. There is a guide mark to help you align it out of the box. Follow the instructions in order and you will have no issue.

The only issue I had was with oval rings, and for that I use old sram red derailleur.
Last edited by tinozee on Mon May 04, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

To me, it was. Used it with non-Yaw Red shifters. Better shifting, and also no need to trim.
Last edited by fa63 on Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

by Rick

I have one bike with Sram Red Yaw, and it does work really well. But it is a little more finicky to get set-up to perfection.

Having said that, I also have a bike with Dura Ace 7800 and 2 trim positions. Sometimes it seems good to have trim positions, because even pefect setups sometimes go out of adjustment a little due to wear and temperature changes.

Worth it ? Probably yes, but not an earth shattering difference either way.

lennyk

by lennyk

I like it, with my 50/34 red 10sp, caad10
I could only setup my fd to span 7 or 8 cogs
Bought a force and happy with it.

With yaw i can get 9 small ring, 10 big ring.
10 is possible but in small ring the chain rubs on the big ring.

Setup is easy, however it requires using the stock position from factory which will change after use.
Not sure how to reset the position if i had reinstall it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Read the instructions several times and watch some YouTube vids before you touch it. The derailleur comes with the small ring limit screw dialed in really far to put the cage out over the big ring. There are two faint lines on the top of the cage that need to align over and parallel with the big ring when you instal. That is the key. Then you wind the screw out until it shifts onto the small ring. Even so, with some set ups you might tweak it one way or the other depending on exactly where you like to have the most cage clearance - little ring side or big ring side.

If you ever remove and re-instal the derailleur, just dial in the small ring limit screw until the cage is out over the big ring again and again align with those faint lines on the cage. After playing with these things enough you can even to an install without using the alignment aid. You know you have it right when it shifts like a dream, doesn't drop the chain, and never rubs no matter what gear you are in. Takes a lot of trial and error but it can be done.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Marin

by Marin

Can be a pain with chainrings other than SRAM 22 ones.

Fiery

by Fiery

Two big reasons why you'll want to upgrade the front derailleur:
1. Rival 22 shifters won't have the trim option, so you'll need a derailleur that doesn't need it.
2. You will be moving to 11 speeds - the chain will be narrower and it will not work as well with a 10 speed front derailleur.

You can keep the Apex rear derailleur though.

nickcube

by nickcube

Good reasoning people! I'll be moving to an x9 clutch rear mech anyway as I'm from a XC, so chain slap is a very big annoyance for me (1x or 2x).
So, a wheel set thats 1kg (yep, 1kg!) lighter than what I have, and then onto 11sp(Rival seems better bang for buck than force)! One of my first posts here, you guys are awesome! Any more tips and recommendations would be even better, Cheers

theremery

by theremery

Best single improvement in changing I've had over the last 5 years was a Yaw front mech. Take your time setting it up and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

I have it on NON-Yaw shifters/chainrings and it's AWESOME ! Quick and effortless. I was pretty surprised at the difference.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Yes.

HanSolPark

by HanSolPark

That's good topic! I've been wondering that recently.

tomevental

by tomevental

The yaw system works well, it's amongst the best there is, but in my opinion, the groupset is a tad behind Shimano's "feel" and is held back by it. Hopefully this will change soon as I hear SRAM wireless is awesome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com