Low weight cranksets benefit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

F45

by F45

VTBike wrote:Understandable why you might think this, but far from the truth. The carbon layup in cranks is much thicker than a frame. The function and placement of a crank is unique, and crank makers are smart enough to design for this. I think it's going to be quite difficult for you to hit any carbon crank hard enough to crack it - especially on a road bike. I also have carbon cranks on my MTB, and have hit them pretty dang hard. They mark up, even chip.. but nothing serious enough to cause serious damage.

I'll second this. I rode an FSA SL-k BB30 (5 arm version previous to current version) on a cross bike that got the tips of the arms banged and chipped. I expected it to break but it kept on going. I eventually took it off to replace it with a Red BB30 and it was only 70 grams heavier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

yeah always lots of complaints from pro sprinters about Dura Ace's thin and flexy 24mm spindle,
Whereas nothing but praise for FSA and their "chainrings are as sturdy as DA 9000 versions" cranks,

https://twitter.com/caleyfretz/status/5 ... 9590876161
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ace-170137

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Tenlegs, I usually don't read posts about what the pro riders prefers or not.
I merely suggested that Shimano has a very thin walled spindle (which it has).
Also it's 24mm, this is forcing me to use an adapter on my bike.
I wonder what DA cranks weight had been if it had a 30mm spindle that was a bit more robust.
I have not suggested Shimano makes a bad crank, neither that FSA is better.
I just hope that this model FSA crank, will be as good in shifting as the DA crankset.
Time shall tell!
But these posts surely does not look promising....

https://twitter.com/caleyfretz/status/5 ... 9590876161
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ace-170137[/quote]
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

DA is as stiff/strong as any human could possibly want why would it need a 30mm spindle (bit more robust?????????)
FSA cranks have been poor in the past and it would seem still are.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Actually i talked briefly to Edoardo at FSA. There's about 100 riders using K-Force Light (the new version) that are pro or semi-pro and there is really no complaints of chaindrops.
I also talked to Ax Lightness which tell me it's a great chainset. However, Shimano is probably 100% and i guess no aftermarket crank can beat that.
I used Rotor for awhile, that set works great to. I did not notice any lag or chain-issues, shifting issues or similar.
If you think of it, many WW guys buy super light components. I did not wish to trade shifting or stiffness, so i thought i'd try FSA.
There are many rumours and words spreading. Some things are hyped up and some things downsized.
I had another crank in mind, but two dealers who told me these were great, also told me you will not be pleased by these.
I will not say what brand that was. But it was not this FSA.
To explain a bit better, my frame is with direct fit bearings and 86.5mm wide.
This crank is virtually bolt on. I need no spacers or such. With Shima i need the adapters.
My specific versions i have are made of plastic or some composite.
I tried and still try to build my bike as good as i can, but not let weight trump performance.
For instance, i bought EE brakes to drop some weight. Some would argue that i should buy THM or AX carbon brakes.
Some would argue i should have kept the DA brakes.
I find EE brakes work just as good as DA brakes and they're also lighter.
I doubt the carbon brakes which are even lighter, has same bite as the new EE brakes.
Now, if you are curious, i can tell you for real, no BS on how this crank works with DA 9000.
I can admit, i have Edco Monoblock cassette and it is not as good as i would like it to be.
Quality is excellent, but upshifting is not nearly as good as DA cassette.

I must say, the thing that i really like is Jagwire Elite brake and shift. These are actually as good and better than Shimanos best sets.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Pros ride what their paid/told to, most don't have a choice.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I do have a choice!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Marin

by Marin

Seems I have to post this video once a month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

Check out what a carbon _frame_ can take, then consider that a crank has much, much, much thicker walls. I'd bet a lot of money on a crank arm being able to stop a rifle bullet :)

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Tenlegs wrote:Pros ride what their paid/told to, most don't have a choice.

yes and that the case with those using Dura Ace as well. They ride it because they have to.... not because they choose to!!!!

Why does almost every equipment thread here turn into fanboy flaming??? It's like it's not legal to question equipment and certain manufacturers without fanboys defending their equipment choises.

@Tenlegs: this is not specifically aimed towards you and this threas is certainly not the worst, but I'm just fed up with threads turning into the same bull#¤§t.

We get it!! you love the equipment choices you have made, but that doesn't mean that everybody have to make the same decision....It should be possible to have a simple discussion about pros and cons of various equipment.

If somebody questions your equipment decision...... it's not a personal attact!

Can we please act like grown ups here?

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Last edited by Tenlegs on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's a pitty Bianchis most expensive Oltre 2 with Di2 is sold with such a crappy crankset!
It must be due to the fact that the chain keeps jumping off. They learned nothing from previous years, those stupid people at Bianchi.
Seriously, all joking aside. I see you don't like FSA. As mentioned, i can honestly tell you how it is when i've built my bike.
I have ran Sram, Shimano DA, Rotor 3D+ with Q-rings. You could try to find the data when they did test Cavendish bike and see if they found that the crankset was proven to blame for.
Personally i have understood your anger, but it seems more that you are now here to bash FSA for some reason?
If they make mistakes, well perhaps they did and maybe they've done something better now.
I can tell you (if you care) that i have leveled with the guys who built my frame. They would not suggest a crank that is feeding my anger or making my bike run like crap.
Take it easy, run Campa and i'll come back and tell what i've find out.
Is that fine?
Stress and hate is not good for us, keep calm boys ;-)
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

FSA cranks are often specced instead a full groupset, It's called cost cutting, they've been doing it for years,
Same with brakes, you'll sometimes find unbranded/non groupset brakes specced, profit margins and all that,
Apart from decent cranks like Hollowgram/Rotor etc, better to stick with the groupset crank for best shifting/reliability

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Tenlegs, my bike was done i worked on it yesterday and tonight, so i took a short ride and hammered best i could
Again to check shifting. I shifted even more than usual and i usually shift alot.
No hick ups, no chaindrops, no hesitant lagging or sliding, no miss-shiftings. I use Dura ace chain and mechanical DA 9000 group.
There is neither any chainrubbing! I don't know what to expect of the crank more than this!?
I will ofcourse ride more, but in the early stages and during setup there is nothing that suggest any design flaws.
If it matters, it looks really good if you run a naked carbon frame.
Perhaps it does matter how chainline is on the frame to!? Actually, a cassette i have run better on the Vial EVO than my ti bike.
I may say right away, i am by no means any bike mechanic. But picky as i am, i let it take lots of time to make my bikes run properly.
Anyway, just talking the FSA crank, no worries, it works very good!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

If looks and weight are so important anything less than a Morpheus on your bike is a compromise, this is WW!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Tenlegs, i actually had both Morpheus and Clavicula SE in mind. But a few things concerning those made me back out.
I could perhaps say that this specific FSA model crank, is a good description of what had been the result if we mixed Shimano DA 9000 and Morheus.
Make of it what you want people, i like it and the price is also good.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com