Power2max Classic, Sram Force22/Rival22 compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

trychle

by trychle

Hi,

I am planning on buying a Power2max Classic powermeter with a Sram Rival22 crankset as offered in the following link: http://www.bikeline.net/special-offer-power2max-classic-sram-rival-22/.

My idea was to change the Sram Rival 22 crankset for a Sram Force 22 crankset. Doing so would give me a really nice powermeter for a fraction of the costs of a normal powermeter with such a configuration.

However, I am being told that the Power2max classic sensor that fits on Sram Rival 22 cranks is not compatible with Sram Force 22 cranks. To me this seems strange, as cranks (and therefore also the point where the cranks attach to the spider/powermeter) appear to be exactly the same.

Could anyone shed some light on this matter?

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Trychle - I would email power2max directly, they seem to be very good (from my experience) in responding to techy questions on email...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattjevans

by mattjevans

be curious to know also

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I'm guessing its due to the difference in crank arm material (carbon v alloy) and how the spider actually fits to it, along with maybe different axle fitment?
Official cafe stop tester

Marin

by Marin

Or ask Sram if the spiders are compatible, better chance for an unbiased answer. That said, the Rival is a _very_ nice crank!

trychle

by trychle

Thanks for the replies guys.

The owner of the Power2max 'concept store' told me wouldn't work, so I assume he knows what he's talking about.
I will try the option of emailing Power2max (and Sram as well) directly, and report my findings back here.

Edit: Emailing Power2max directly turned out to be really helpful. They checked both configurations in the factory on the dynamic test stand, and found out that it did not work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com