Colnago M10 tyre clearance and dropout spacers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nikfunnell

by nikfunnell

Hi, I have been struggling with M10 frame clearance for a few months and wondering if anyone can offer advice?

I have a 2014 M10s size 52s and the frame clearance is so tight using the stock RS31 wheels and GP4000ii tyres that damage is being caused in the wheel arches.
This was compounded even more when i fitted some Lightweight std3 wheels which wont even rotate as they fit right up against the frame.

For time being I have made some 5mm spacers and fitted to the dropouts to allow enough clearance. I have come across some 'wheel slammer' spacers from BMX world which I may try out, but wondering if anyone knows of any other road-specific dropout spacers/stops that I could fit?

Many thanks! Nik

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurperg

by eurperg

Here's what I did with my C59: link

nikfunnell

by nikfunnell

thanks eurperg! That is exactly what I have done so far (using a rawl-plug, instead of your ikea trick. and also tiny bit of tape to hold in place as i did indeed loose 1 when changing a tyre!)
Seems this is quite a common problem so wondering if anyone had found a better solution. So many people with Lightweights on Colnago's I cant imagine we are the only two experiencing this :D

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

What size tyre are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikfunnell

by nikfunnell

Hi ultimobici!
Was supplied with vittoria rubino pro 23mm on the stock shimano rs31 wheels and clearance was tight, switched to GP4000ii 23mm and clearance even tighter (as shown in first pic)
Lightweight std3 with conti competition 25mm tubs won't even rotate (pic 2)
Currently using the lightweights with some dropout spacers I made from masonry rawl-plugs (same trick as eurperg's link above) which gives me about the same clearance as the GP4000 on rs31 rims. So damage still being caused if I roll over gritty surfaces.
Cheers, nik

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Hmmm. I'd swap the tubs for either 22s or a Veloflex 23.

nikfunnell

by nikfunnell

Thanks, I'll take a look. I assumed tyres were fairly standard in circumference and 25's would be no different to 23 or 22?
Don't really want to shell out for 2 lots of new rubber but if the rawl-plugs can be binned then it's a small price to pay! Thanks

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Tyre size is something of a headache in the industry. 23mm clincher tyres are not necessarily 23mm in section as rims affect their actual size. A 25mm tubular is not just wider, it's taller too by 3mm.

nikfunnell

by nikfunnell

Thanks for the info ultimobici, gives me a new angle to consider!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Great solutions that you guys have come up with.

But... why are we not ripping Colnago? Seriously, perhaps the most prestigious brand in all of cycling and they let a bike out of their factory that cannot fit some 25 mm tires and that do not provide adequate clearance for some 23's? Filing off a part of a $3000 -$5000 frameset and sticking a piece of furniture to it so you can put your wheels on? IMO a total joke - All those forks/frames should be replaced. It's not like Colnago presented these frames and forks as aero equipment and gave caution that they were designed with minimal clearance a la Cervelo S5 etc. Even a small piece of debris stuck to a tire could become a major safety hazard. Is it possible these frames were built with the wrong dropouts? This kind of error just doesn't make sense.

I wonder what mods were done by the Colnago sponsored teams that had these bikes in the Spring classics.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

nikfunnell

by nikfunnell

After a rather pricey trip to the bike shop I have solved the problem, and am a much happier rider. Hope this can be of assistance to other riders experiencing clearance problems with tubular tyres....

Switched to 22mm GP4000ii and have enough clearance to drive a tank through (a 5mm tank)

For comparison, my Competitions and Gatorskin 25mm were butted up to the frame, as shown in pics i posted before
cheers, Nik

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com