Dura Ace 9001 or Chorus 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Help me decide which Groupset DA Vs Chorus

Shimano Dura Ace 9001 Mechanical
49%
Campagnolo Chorus 2015 Mechanical
51%

Total votes: 88

Yorkshire22

by Yorkshire22

I need to order a groupset, and can't decide between these two. I did a poll last week, on Chorus, Ultegra & force. They finished in that order. But on looking at the cost of Chorus, I realised I could get Dura Ace. So now its Dura Ace Vs Chorus.

They are both the same price(DA about £50 more), after shopping around haggling, although DA RRP is much higher, its more discounted.

They Both weigh the same (Dura Ace about 50g less, as I would ditch the dodgy and expensive DA Cassette & use Ultegra)

They both have supreme front shifting, apparantly! with a longer arm front mech.

They both have 4 arm spiders, allowing easy ring size changes.

I'm not used to either system, so the shifting difference's don't matter, I will get used to either.

Its going on an American Ti Frame.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

I think at this point it's down to sexiness. I was in a shop this week that does a ton of Campy - sells Pinarello and Colnago - and he said to him there's really just Chorus or Super Record on the campy side. No reason to get Record, Chorus works just as well, but with Super you get the ceramic bearings, which is a real difference.

To me, DA is probably smoother and more adjustment free, clean looking too, but if you want Campy you want Campy. I doubt this comes down to performance. I'm trying to make the same call.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phollingswo

by phollingswo

Have you got a chance to try them out? It's worth making sure that you find the hoods comfortable, and that your thumbs are long enough for comfortable shifting on the campa stuff.

I have Chorus 15 - it's beautiful, an absolute work of art. I personally don't like the asymmetry of the arms on the DA cranks.

My vote would be chorus. But they are both excellent groupsets and I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

beware of the gen 1 9000 cassette's carbon carrier they break really easy, I know they warranty them and you get gen 2 ones (but it's a PITA). I personally run a 6800 cassette instead. Also go for 9001 STI's as they have slightly smoother cable routing than 9000 (probably very few of them are sold after-market now anyway). No other complaint's with 9000 group.

FWIW I'd be dropping the cash on the one the rocks your boat otherwise you'll just end up regretting your purchase and covet the other! (yes, that's my personal experience)

Jcgill

by Jcgill

Subscribing to hear the feedback.

I would like to build up a Moots in the near future and i'm trying to decide between the Chorus or 9000 or maybe even 6800 and nicer wheelset.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Both awesome but there are a few small issues with gen 1 9000. 2015 chorus is the best mech groupset when you look at the performance/cost hands down right now.
They have quite differnet ergonomics. I'd try and spend a little time with both and see what feels best

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

If the Dura Ace only performs even slightly better than my 6800 I'd say the decision is a slam dunk.
Shimano builds a great product.

Glad to see this isn't an EPS choice. Somehow I think pushbikes go better with high quality mechanical group sets.
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Sat May 02, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm a Campy guy. I work on both sides of the fence though, having set up both DA 9000/9001 and Campy chorus through Super Record. I love the ergonomics of Campy and it would look great on your ti frame. Think about the wheels you want as well. If you're not firmly in one camp or the other, and don't already have a lot of bikes set up, then choose which one you like the looks of the most. Shimano shifts very smooth, sort of glides over the cassette. Campy has a firmer feel, which I like. More of a solid shift. But they both work fine. I don't like how a lot of folks set up their Shimano levers really high, often higher than the bars at the stem. And some bars will work better with Shimano while other bars will work better with Campy, fitwise. I've not experienced the DA cassette issues that seem to get talked about a lot, but I have for sure experienced premature (imo) fraying and breaking of shift cables at the lever on she Shimano shifters. The 9001 shifters have changed the little cable guide cover under the hoods but other than that the cable still has to make a horrendous almost right angle bend as it comes out of the shifter. And this is where the cables fray and break. Fraying will first affect your shifting until it ultimately breaks. It's very annoying and obviously will depend on how much you use your bike but my friend seems to be going through them in like 3 months time or so. Other than that, no issues. And much is made of Campys ability to "slam" a bunch of gears all at once with one throw. That ability is nice but for me, I rarely dump the whole shabang. But I do shift 1, 2 or 3 cogs with one touch of the lever and you get to know exactly how to instantly change 1, 2, or 3. Boom! It's FAST! And I often do it while I'm simultaneously shifting the front. Overall, I can shift to anywhere I want in an instant and a lot faster than electrical shifting can get me there. And it's a more rewarding experience too.
But given what you've narrowed it down to, you can't go wrong with any of your choices.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Not sure where you live, but here DA is a good 200 euro more than Chorus, about in the middle between Chorus and Record.
I am coming from Record and am on Chorus now. Best value/performance groupset I would agree.
As for the choice, 100% subjective, they both work as have been said a 1000 times on here comparing groups :)
Personally, I prefer Campagnolo - a big part of the preference is because of their wheels.

Yorkshire22

by Yorkshire22

Thank you for the replies and votes. Its still very close! One thing I have noticed, is that in Magazines, about 70% of the very best bikes have Dura Ace, the others have Campagnolo Super Record. None of them have Chorus, and also I don't think any Pro's use Chorus.

To some of the questions.
As I said in the first post, I would not buy the DA Cassette, based on its price and performance, and use the Ultegra. This also brings the price and weight of each group very close together.

I'm in the UK.

My hands aren't big, (Phollingswo asked about thumbs) I'm about medium size in gloves.

Something that might help me decide is BB fitment.

Dura Ace needs a Convertor to fit my press fit 30. The praxis seems to get good reviews, but is quite heavy @145g

Chorus includes press fit cups, lighter @70g, but are they any good? do they creak? praxis also do campag convertor BB.

Dura ace has been out a few years, plenty of new stuff on ebay should you bash a mech, or damage a ring.
Chorus 2015 quite new, and spares are generally order in at list price.

One is Bling Shiny, I like it & the other stealthy Carbon, like that too.

Please keep posting and voting, It all helps, even if I'm just going around in circles.

kgt

by kgt

Chorus will look much better on a ti frame.

bura

by bura

^ I am thinking the opposite. Dura Ace Alloy cranks do just look better on Ti frames. Go to Passoni or any other Ti manufacturers site and compare. Carbon spiders and carbon RD on a Ti bike just not my thing though Chorus is a great group set. I also give credit to Shimano due to the cleaner and more decent graphics on their groups.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Svetty

by Svetty

Not sure you can get DA for the price of Chorus. Even selling on the 9000 cassette at RRP.....

sawyer

by sawyer

Main thing is which hoods you prefer. I'm just in the process of taking 9000 off a bike to put 2015 Record on as I so much prefer Campag hoods

But Shimano shifting, braking and functionality is superb.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Yorkshire22 wrote:Thank you for the replies and votes. Its still very close! One thing I have noticed, is that in Magazines, about 70% of the very best bikes have Dura Ace, the others have Campagnolo Super Record. None of them have Chorus, and also I don't think any Pro's use Chorus.

To some of the questions.
As I said in the first post, I would not buy the DA Cassette, based on its price and performance, and use the Ultegra. This also brings the price and weight of each group very close together.

I'm in the UK.

My hands aren't big, (Phollingswo asked about thumbs) I'm about medium size in gloves.

Something that might help me decide is BB fitment.

Dura Ace needs a Convertor to fit my press fit 30. The praxis seems to get good reviews, but is quite heavy @145g

Chorus includes press fit cups, lighter @70g, but are they any good? do they creak? praxis also do campag convertor BB.

Dura ace has been out a few years, plenty of new stuff on ebay should you bash a mech, or damage a ring.
Chorus 2015 quite new, and spares are generally order in at list price.

One is Bling Shiny, I like it & the other stealthy Carbon, like that too.

Please keep posting and voting, It all helps, even if I'm just going around in circles.

Shimano is far stronger in the OEM market. For the most part those buying Campy are individuals.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels