Dura Ace 9001 or Chorus 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Help me decide which Groupset DA Vs Chorus

Shimano Dura Ace 9001 Mechanical
49%
Campagnolo Chorus 2015 Mechanical
51%

Total votes: 88

spatz

by spatz

functionality wise Shimano DA9000 is better but Campy ergonomics is best. If it was Record vs DA nod to Campy but price wise the quality and performance if DA vs Chorus; go Shimano. I have both DA9000 and Record2015. Unfortunate Campy are pricing themselves into oblivion... particularly when Campy seem to be trying to stay on par w Shimano by borrowing a lot of design ideas. Good news is w Campy you can save some money running Shimano/SRAM 11 spd specific cassettes/wheels as you'll likely find in neutral support race events now that the Italian brand is disappearing. Ask any racer under the age of 25 their opinion on Campy, and you'll most likely get a blank stare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

spatz wrote:functionality wise Shimano DA9000 is better but Campy ergonomics is best. If it was Record vs DA nod to Campy but price wise the quality and performance if DA vs Chorus; go Shimano. I have both DA9000 and Record2015. Unfortunate Campy are pricing themselves into oblivion... particularly when Campy seem to be trying to stay on par w Shimano by borrowing a lot of design ideas. Good news is w Campy you can save some money running Shimano/SRAM 11 spd specific cassettes/wheels as you'll likely find in neutral support race events now that the Italian brand is disappearing. Ask any racer under the age of 25 their opinion on Campy, and you'll most likely get a blank stare.

We obviously live in different places.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

I just purchased 2015 Campy Record 11 for $100.00 more than Shimano DA at $1365.00 with the cassette and BB I need. Record uses USB Ceramic instead of CULT still entirely a Ceramic drivetrain.

Question would you be more likely to consider a high end used bike with DA or Record? Thinking about resale value...

Alfie22

by Alfie22

Both are superb, but chorus is a better investment! Campagnolo components always adding points to the bike.

Fiery

by Fiery

Dura Ace for me, hands down. If it was Ultegra vs. Chorus, I would still choose Shimano. Campagnolo gets lots of praise for the ergonomics, but Shimano hoods fit my hands so much better (size L gloves but relatively narrow). I am also a big fan of the super smooth shifting that Shimano provides, and I never really liked the look of most newer Campagnolo components, so it's really a no-brainer for me.

Looking through the thread, there's a few people who would choose Campagnolo instead, based on the same criteria. Just goes to show that you need to try both and go with the one that speaks to you.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Sti 9001 levers here aswell as Sti 9000. 9001 you can shorten reach even further, it shift smooth and precise. Campa has a bling factor it seems, but for the cycling Shima is the deal for me and the guys i know. Only thing that would steer me away from mechanical 9000 (and Sti 9001 shifters), would actually be an all new Shima mechanical.
On the Vial EVO D, i use Sti 9001 shifters, RD + FD and chain , 2015 EE brakes (+ black prince pads), Edco cassette, FSA K-force light BB386EVO and Jagwire Elite Shift and brake sets. Works superb for the one who want excellent shifting, light weight and superb modulation braking.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I always keep at least one bike on Dura Ace in my quiver, but so far it is the Campagnolo bikes the one I use the most.

I recently sold my Record EPS Somec and keep a DA9001 BH G6 and an Chorus mechanical Canyon Ultimate, and I barely use the BH.

The G6 was previously on mechanical SR and it got most of the km. I plan to upgrade it again to Record, not sure yet if mechanical or EPS ( money will be the main deciding factor).

On the long run Campagnolo has proved to be a set and forget componentry over the years in my experience, and the separate levers/buttons for every function, along with the tactile feedback is something I miss everytime I get on DuraAce.

These days everything works ok, and it's a lot a matter of personal preference, but to me Campagnolo is still a bit ahead of the rest.

benzebub

by benzebub

I have a bike equipped with ultegra 6700 and my new bike has chorus 2015.
Shifting on the chorus is amazing, very fast and accurate, and I love the ability to multi shift. I can imagine that ultegra 6800/dura ace isn't worse, I don't have experience with those groupsets so won't comment on them.

ergonomics on the campa hoods suit me better, shifting from drops too. I just chose campa on the new bike because I wanted to try something new and I like campa's styling.

Like I said, if you are willing to spend that amount of cash you won't be disappointed and will get a good groupset.
But I could be wrong