is power tap worth it (or is SRM) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TiBikeNut

by TiBikeNut

What are peoples experiences with PowerTap hub?

I was thinking of getting my Zipp 202 re-built with the power tap.

I'm leaning this way it will cost me about 200 grams.

- Some of which I can offset by removing my exisiting heart rate monitor and my double wirless Cateye.

- IMO the SRM seems to be too heavy compared to the power tap...

- Are are they about the same in terms of functional?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dirty Dee

by Dirty Dee

I have heard and read that the power taps are sometime prone to malfunction from rain. But, this might have just happen to a few people. The SRM is pretty pricey. If I were to get one, I would get the power tap.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Check out www.ergomo.net

Herbert

by Herbert

With the SRM you can use whatever wheels you want to use and thus you are not "bound" to the powertap wheel. In my opinion SRM is the way to go.

Herbert

jeffr

by jeffr

I have a powertap SL built on a 404 rim. I think it's great, but I've never used SRM. One thing to keep in mind is that you can use a different rear wheel with the computer and receiver, you just need a magnet and you'll still geed speed/distance/heart/cadence/etc.

I bought it because I'd rather have a specialized hub than crankset. This way I can keep my THMs and use the wheel on other bikes as well.

I've never had it malfunction in the rain. Although I admit I don't ride that much in the rain. I prefer to do intervals on the trainer on rainy days. I did have the HRM go blank for a few seconds several times while I was riding but it hasn't repeated.

I'm not sure that I'd go with the 202 unless you're really super concerned with weight. I guess I'd rather save weight elsewhere and keep a deeper rim in the back.

bikeguy101

by bikeguy101

I've sent back more than a few powertaps for warranty. The seals are the weaksest link, though it usually takes more than one wet ride to penetrate. The customer service can be a bit spotty as well as parting with your wheel to have it serviced in Wisconsin.. It is a good idea with further room for improvement.

mzagorski

by mzagorski

I owned an SRM amateur for 1year or so then upgraded last winter to the dura-ace srm pro... totally no regrets. Sure they're pricey but I've only ever had to send my SRM back to the service center once and that was to have the battery replaced. In my opinion, a powermeter (that's reliable) combined with good coaching and knowing how to make effective use of your powermeter are the two best purchases you can make if you're serious about your racing.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i think many people forget the point herbert is mentioning. what if you want data of a time trial? there is not even a powertab disc wheel, and if there was, you would need 2 units, a normal wheel and a disc.
you can change an srm crank in a few minutes to another bike.
another thing is i find the srm powercontrol v much nicer than the powertab computer. i don't know much about functions because i've never tried a powertab, but i can say that the things you can do with an srm are just perfect for me and there has never been a problem functionwise.

Micky B

by Micky B

nexusheli wrote:Check out www.ergomo.net

This powermeter looks to be the business. Has anyone here purchased and have any opinions on the ergomo? (comparison to SRM pro system).

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

TiBikeNut wrote:.

- IMO the SRM seems to be too heavy compared to the power tap...

realy? the lightest setup of SRM is 520grams for the cranks arms + SRM spider. This does not include the BB. To me thats pretty light. Run any wheels you wish. Sounds pretty good.

I would go for SRM.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Micky B wrote:
nexusheli wrote:Check out www.ergomo.net

This powermeter looks to be the business. Has anyone here purchased and have any opinions on the ergomo? (comparison to SRM pro system).

What if I like my DA setup?
Not sure I'd like to go back to square tapper DA9 cranks.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

I don't know about elsewhere, but in the states, Ergomo is offering a square taper carbon crank. It's essentially a re-badged FSA crank, but it looks the part, is respectibly light and works with any 10 speed set-up. Square-taper is the only option right now, but there should be an ISIS and an Octalink version available within a month or two.

Beyond that, they're apparently working with Campy to figure out what they're going to need to do to make it compatible with the new 2007 through-axle set-up.

Oops... said too much... :wink:

Fat Fred

by Fat Fred

So where can you buy the Ergomo from and what are the costs?

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Fat Fred wrote:So where can you buy the Ergomo from and what are the costs?

There aren't many dealers in the US yet, they just changed distributors this year. If you're in the states, drop me a PM, tell me where you are and I'll let you know where to go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iubike

by iubike

GITA is the US distributor, they will have an ISIS version available this March so I will hopefully be going with one. It means I can use my Pulsions with a powermeter :D. GITA is a pretty good company, although a bit difficult to deal with as they have a real time stock website yet they don't do B2B.

K