HSC vs SRAM Press Fit 30 BB longevity comparison

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AndrewL

by AndrewL

Hi, I bought a set of SRAM Red BB30 cranks for my Parlee Z5 SLi to replace a set of Ultegra cranks and save some weight. I'm considering a BB and I've scoured the forum for info on the HSC BB and found that people like it very much. However, the SRAM BB can be had for less than a third of the price and the weight difference is not very big. I've heard that the SRAM BB can last 5000km if installed properly, though some people claim to get much less life out of it.

What I would like to know is how the HSC BB has held up for those of you that have used it for many miles. Can I expect it to last at least three times as long as the SRAM BB and thus be a better value?

I suppose if the HSC lasts on average twice as long it's still probably a better choice because of the reduced hassle of changing the unit.

If any of you have put many thousands of km on the HSC I would be interested to hear how it's held up.

Lastly, could one change the bearings themselves in the HSC once they are worn out?
Andrew "Jersey" L

rbrtwyn

by rbrtwyn

I'd personally recommend the VCRC unit. Full disclosure, I used to be on a team sponsored by them. But, they seem to last and you can even send it back to be re-built if you don't keep up with maintenance yourself. I've heard good things about HSC but don't have any experience with them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

my sram red bb30 bearings lasted well over 20,000 km, i think the only reason one eventually went a bit rough was going about 6 months of wet rides without me doing any maintenance - until then i'd followed sram's periodic maintenance instructions

with quality bearings if there's fast bearing wear it means there's something wrong - poor bb shell tolerances/misalignment for instance

CharlesM

by CharlesM

it is not the bearings alone...

I wouldnt pay the upcharge for either VCRC OR HSC.

If I wanted a better complete package unit, it would be the Chris King PF 30 or Wheel Manufacturing's version.

Both of these are substantially better complete packages that can maintain bearing position even in cases that there may be a shell variation.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'd get the angular contact + ceramic kit from Enduro.

Far and away the best wear item I've ever purchased.

AndrewL

by AndrewL

Thank you for the replies.

My only objection to the metal-cup BBs is weight and/or price. They all appear to be around 30g heavier and some are very expensive. The only one I would consider is the one from Wheels Mfg with angular contact bearings. However, I'll probably try the SRAM BB first and see how long it lasts. It might be possible to press some A/C bearings into those plastic cups once the originals are worn out.
Andrew "Jersey" L

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com