I want to replace SRAM red 22 chainrings...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ZachUA

by ZachUA

What chainring would you recommend? I want something light, as well as aesthetically pleasing. I think the extralite and tune look nice. Any others?

Marin

by Marin

I ran Cannondale MK V for a while before I switched to Dovals. Shifting suffered on the MK Vs though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Yeah -- there's a good chance shifting will suffer. I used Stronglite and shifting was poor. It's better with Praxis, I think. But my Praxis Cyclocross rings are heavy. Look what happened with Quickstep with FSA rings and Di2: throwing chains multiple times. So be careful with rings with aggressive shifting systems like Di2 or SRAM. Gone are the days when you could delicately guide your chain from one ring to the other with downtube shifters.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Praxis...

With 22, you want shift quality and the RED stock rings are very good.

I wouldnt change them without a good reason. I would consider Praxis as an alternative.

Marin

by Marin

My Doval oval rings and a Rival 10sp ring both shifted fine on yaw 22 though.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I strongly discourage swapping out the stock rings. Nothing will shift better. And if you go with Praxis the chain, when on the small ring, will catch on the teeth of the big ring in the 11 and 12 cog, and even on the 13 on a very short bike - a total PITA considering the shifting is perfectly clean on all eleven cogs with the Red rings. I have Praxis on a Red crank on my cross bike and even with the longer rear triangle it is still a problem.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

djconnel

by djconnel

Of you want light you can go with the lighter version of the Force rings, which aren't as stiff, but very light. Weights on those in listings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

Shift quality isn't everything though, good enough is often, erm, good enough :)

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Praxis, might not be the lightest (lighter than Red 22) but shifting is superb and the rings are nice and stiff
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

steventran

by steventran

I'm using the Extralite rings. Definitely light, about ~95 grams for the set. I've had some issues throwing the chain when shifting up. I've never used the stock rings so I can't compare, but I would say the Extralites are in the "good enough" bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermu

by Vermu

Bringing up old topic since im considering same thing and im running compact 52/36 (came with the bike)

Now I'm considering that I would sand rear derailer and shifter perhaps even crank for a bit toned down look. The problem is that I would want 52/38 to front. Would suit a lot better. Praxis doesn't offer this combination and to get the weight down I would consider Tune Triebtreter but cant find any info on how it shifts.

Any other suggestions for compact?

Marin

by Marin

TA make excellent rings and will be my next purchase. The latest skinny all-black 11sp rings look really good too IMO and come in all sizes.

Kurets

by Kurets

The TA Syrius rings in 52/38 is what I'll be getting for the upcoming season. The wide range of sizes available is why I chose them. Going from FSA rings its prolly hard to find a worse pair of rings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com