6870 Di2 New Install Troubleshooting Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Danza

by Danza

All,

Just put together the bike for the first time last night, apparently unsuccessfully. Not being 100% comfortable or familiar with Di2 yet, I was hoping to get some troubleshooting guidance from the forum during the day today prior to working on it again tonight. It's very possible I am just overlooking a basic step of Di2 setup.

Details:

Shifters: 6770
FD/RD: 6870
3 port front junction
internal rear junction
Internal Battery
All connectors plugged in with connector tool, can hear audible click.
SM-BCR2 (used) interface/charger

Work Performed:

Removed new components from packaging and installed/connected to bike.
No initial charging or loose setup attempted.
Took components

Symptoms:
1) Zero Function at all: No shift, No lights on front junction
2) When plugging SM-BCR2 into computer (Mac w/ Parallels/Windows 10 and E-Tube), the software cannot progress passed the "plug in BCR2" splash screen. I will attempt tonight on a traditional Windows machine to see if it behaves any different.
3) SM-BCR2 lights do not illuminate when plugged in to Junction A

Guesses:
1) Damaged Battery Wire? Will inspect tonight. The bike is BB30 w/ Wheels BB adapter so I may have pinched the wire on accident although I don't believe so
2) Dead/Bad Battery? Received from Europe (in US) so perhaps it is too drained. When I pull the system apart I will attempt to charge
3) Bad Junction A? Not sure how to troubleshoot without a replacement.
4) Bad SM-BCR2? This was a used item I grabbed from ebay so perhaps it doesn't function? I would have expected enough charge in the system to at least illuminate the Junction A lights when the button is depressed?

Appreciate the help,

Ian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

Do you get a charge indication on sm bcr2 when not using etube? If battery is charging it is connected. Charge and then check. If not charging, its either a connection problem or firmware issue.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

dha

by dha

Try a different USB port. I had issues with etube on my mac and it seemed that a certain USB port didn't like parallels/parallels didn't like it

Danza

by Danza

I did not get any lights on the BCR2 when plugging the USB into a wall/USB power adapter.

So I'll pull the battery tonight to check connection and will try with the battery connected, but not installed into the frame.

glepore

by glepore

Yeah, its likely a connection issue-you should at least get an error light (flashing red on the bcr2). reconnect it with another wire to the junction-or use the derailleur wire-in any event, eliminate a bad wire or connection. Probably something simple.

I had an internal battery completely fail-just stopped working and wouldn't charge-but it still gave me an error indication when trying to charge it.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Danza

by Danza

Battery came disconnected inside the seat tube. Fixed and it works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

Danza,

I had the same issue and found out that actually fully plugging in the internal battery required quite a bit of force. My wire kept coming undone despite me thinking it was fully in. It even made a click sound yet still wasn't on all the way. Once I plugged it in for real the issues as you experienced went away for good.