Convert Mavic R-SYS SLR to tubless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wymthg

by wymthg

Has anybody converted a set of Mavic R-Sys SLR wheels to tubeless.

I see they sell UST Valves and tape, but is that for specific UST wheels from Mavic or can they be used on clincher wheel sets?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

It wouldn't change that the hook isn't designed to seal a tubeless tyre bead.

With tubeless there's a lot of stuff that'll work, but whether it works all the time is a different story...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

UST is a standard used by rim and tire manufacturers to guarantee a certain fit (the wheel will hold onto the tire - the beads are matched). UST allows you to establish a tubeless seal without the need for sealant (Shimano is the manufacturer that comes to mind, and they do not want riders using sealant in their rims). Most manufacturers who claim "tubeless" don't adhere to the UST standard (because they don't want to pay for the licensing), and that's why you need sealant to seal the tire to the rim - generally, there's nothing special about the tubeless bead on the rim - only that the rim has a center channel to let the tire sit in, making it easier to inflate and seat.

I've converted Reynolds, ZIPP's, Bontrager (pre-TLR models) and Mavic's over to tubeless, and I've never encountered a problem with the tires sealing onto the rim, or the seal failing down the road. Any clincher rim can be converted to tubeless, and will hold the tire in place.

wymthg

by wymthg

FIJIGabe wrote:UST is a standard used by rim and tire manufacturers to guarantee a certain fit (the wheel will hold onto the tire - the beads are matched). UST allows you to establish a tubeless seal without the need for sealant (Shimano is the manufacturer that comes to mind, and they do not want riders using sealant in their rims). Most manufacturers who claim "tubeless" don't adhere to the UST standard (because they don't want to pay for the licensing), and that's why you need sealant to seal the tire to the rim - generally, there's nothing special about the tubeless bead on the rim - only that the rim has a center channel to let the tire sit in, making it easier to inflate and seat.

I've converted Reynolds, ZIPP's, Bontrager (pre-TLR models) and Mavic's over to tubeless, and I've never encountered a problem with the tires sealing onto the rim, or the seal failing down the road. Any clincher rim can be converted to tubeless, and will hold the tire in place.

Thanks for this, what valves and Tyres did you use when converting the Mavics?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Valves were Stan's and tires were Hutchinson Piranha's (it's a CX bike).