Ritte Cycles, any feedback?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

istigatrice wrote:I have to say I fall on the sceptical side. No I've never ridden one of these bikes, but, I tried to get one to review for the weightweenies blog I didn't even get a reply email from them.

Why does this make me sceptical? well if you talk to guys like Binny from Falco Bike, Jonathan from Swiftcarbon about reviewing they're bikes they're very keen to get you a review bike. They literally try to sort everything out ASAP and get a bike under your legs ASAP. It's a real pity that I'm not allowed to publish these reviews as the higher ups decided they wanted euro brands on the blog (which is fair enough considering the audience), but the bikes made by these guys are fabulous (I decided to buy the Ultravox).

Now, I'm not saying Ritte don't make good bikes, but it says something to me about the confidence they have in their bikes. Their contact avenues are quite secretive, and they try to beat their own drum on forums like these. The other manufactures had completely different attitudes, open private contact options, with fast replies and openness to private reviews. When they get slammed on a forum (usually unfairly), they don't interfere (unless there's technical enquiries, or confusion). They rarely try and shill their brand on threads (at most they clear up confusion, but never say how good their brand is). Their confidence in their product is such that they're not worried about guys like Grill coming in and taking a dig.

I'm sure they're great bikes, just my experience trying to get a review bike (especially since it's a brand that I can publish) leaves a sour taste.

slightly off topic, but if you look at their stack and reach charts, the XS has a longer reach than the S... Now you could argue one is a long and low fit, but they're clearly trying to sell to a different height range (looking at the rest of their measurements) Now this is another small detail, but if you're a boutique cycling brand I'd expect you to notice details like that.

I digress, I'm sure Rittecycles will come up with a reply as to why my emails were unanswered, and tell us why Ritte is such a cool brand etc etc.

So where are these reviews of the falco and swift bikes?? Your making demands but there isn't much to back it up on the blog is there.. I would be very hesitant to hand over a $10k bike to some blog that hasn't yet reviewed any bikes at all....
Last edited by sugarkane on Sat May 02, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slagter

by Slagter

The fact that Grill is very skeptical against Rittecycles makes me want one even more....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

You're a big boy and it's your money, so buy one. Pretty much mirrors my very first response in this thread in which I tell the OP to buy one if he wants.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

istigatrice wrote: They rarely try and shill their brand on threads (at most they clear up confusion, but never say how good their brand is). Their confidence in their product is such that they're not worried about guys like Grill coming in and taking a dig.

Given that most manufacturers are watching the forums I suspect their lack of involvement is less that they're confident in their product and more that they don't want to be asked hard questions. Plus it's a huge time drain - look at Carl (Trek) and Superdave (Felt) on slowtwitch - hours of answering peoples questions about accessories, fit, customer service etc. They clearly feel it is worthwhile but it does tie up a resource.

Binny involved everyone in his development process, which means he'll always get more leeway than other new manufacturers here. I don't think that was a cynical move on his part - just that he wanted to share something he (and the rest of us) is passionate about.

Maybe if Spencer had been posting step by step photos of his clay sculpture at the time of development he'd have less of a battle to gain credibility. This thread is showing why it is risky for a brand to come on to forums. Even if they're trying to be transparent.

Big brands spend a fortune on marketing how good they are and how much tech goes into their bikes. And then rush to slap the same acronyms from the top bike on to a much lower grade frame that has been produced purely for pricepoint. There are really not many brands that can afford to just rely on having a superior product and not have to talk it up.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

sugarkane wrote:So where are these reviews of the falco and swift bikes?? Your making demands but there isn't much to back it up on the blog is there.. I would be very hesitant to hand over a $10k bike to some blog that hasn't yet reviewed any bikes at all....

If you were reading what I wrote, I'm not allowed to publish them as we're looking for more European brands (after all Starbike is German). Ritte is a brand that I'm allowed to publish. I also understand your point, my main point isn't my sourness of not getting a review bike, it's the fact that their inner workings are quite hidden, eg I can't contact them without fishing through distributor contacts. It just feels like they've got something to hide. I've dealt with smaller, and larger companies with much easier contact revenues and I at least get a polite "no we've got enough reviews but thanks for the interest KIT" from them.

cyclenutnz wrote:Given that most manufacturers are watching the forums I suspect their lack of involvement is less that they're confident in their product and more that they don't want to be asked hard questions. Plus it's a huge time drain - look at Carl (Trek) and Superdave (Felt) on slowtwitch - hours of answering peoples questions about accessories, fit, customer service etc. They clearly feel it is worthwhile but it does tie up a resource.

Agree to disagree here, I doubt it's that time consuming, most forums ban manufactures from posting (or at least request they seek admin approval beforehand) because they don't want this shilling.

Anyways, I was just writing about my experiences with Ritte, feel free to disagree with me, after all this is a discussion thread about the brand.

Grill wrote:You're a big boy and it's your money, so buy one. Pretty much mirrors my very first response in this thread in which I tell the OP to buy one if he wants.

I couldn't agree more tbh. They're a legitimate company so there's not too much to worry about. Guys like Grill and I are sceptical because we think there's better for the price (or you can get the same for less), but then again it isn't our money, but you did ask for our opinion so we (hopefully) politely gave it :)
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Slagter

by Slagter

istigatrice wrote:
Grill wrote:You're a big boy and it's your money, so buy one. Pretty much mirrors my very first response in this thread in which I tell the OP to buy one if he wants.

I couldn't agree more tbh. They're a legitimate company so there's not too much to worry about. Guys like Grill and I are sceptical because we think there's better for the price (or you can get the same for less), but then again it isn't our money, but you did ask for our opinion so we (hopefully) politely gave it :)

What makes a bike better istigatrice? I guess if you ask Grill, the answer is this:

Grill wrote:
and as far as riding characteristics go, I've ridden enough bikes to now that the right bike is 95% emotional. If you love the look you'll love the ride.

jano

by jano

sugarkane wrote:
istigatrice wrote:Why does this make me sceptical? well if you talk to guys like Binny from Falco Bike, Jonathan from Swiftcarbon about reviewing they're bikes they're very keen to get you a review bike. They literally try to sort everything out ASAP and get a bike under your legs ASAP. It's a real pity that I'm not allowed to publish these reviews as the higher ups decided they wanted euro brands on the blog (which is fair enough considering the audience), but the bikes made by these guys are fabulous (I decided to buy the Ultravox).

So where are these reviews of the falco and swift bikes?? Your making demands but there isn't much to back it up on the blog is there.. I would be very hesitant to hand over a $10k bike to some blog that hasn't yet reviewed any bikes at all....

Why not read carefully before attacking someone? :roll:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Sorry Jano there are ZERO bike reviews on the blog.. And for the record Ritte in Australia is under very different distribution from what it was a few months ago and it does not have fiscal resources of the parent company. I'm a small player in the local bike industry but play a strong game at networking with social media and dealing with importers but getting up in some ones face from the safety of your key board will get you NO WHERE.. Especially when you have nothing to stand on. Reputation is important.. For the importer, distributors, manufacturers, shops, boutiques and the would be bloggers... :noidea:

istigatrice

by istigatrice

yeah, it is odd that we don't have any reviews, it's something that I'm working really hard on changing. Basically when I first started putting feelers out to a lot of companies, it was always the Asian companies that were very willing and open to a review, the larger companies have sites like bikeradar so logically they weren't interested. Essentially my situation was that the brands I could review (logically - as you say I don't have any reviews up) weren't interested, and the brands I couldn't review were interested (so it's hard for me to get my first review). I've decided to build up a "reputation" on smaller items first (eg the Magellan review published, and to come: Sigma ROX 10.0 and Rotor power LT)

Sorry to the OP for getting OT, but I feel some people reading this thread would be curious about the situation of the blog...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Rick

by Rick

istigatrice wrote:. Guys like Grill and I are sceptical because we think there's better for the price (or you can get the same for less),

I feel like that about nearly 98% of the products in the bicycle market.
From what I have seen or know (which is not necessarily much) Ritte seems no different except that they are actually communicating on this forum. Certainly they have a defense of their position. It can't possibly be easy to bring a bike to market these days even under the best of circumstances. If they make a little money, or even a LOT of money, I just say "Congratulations!" :beerchug:

(How about a weightweenies forum discount code on Ritte frame purchases ? :D )

53x12

by 53x12

Rick wrote:
istigatrice wrote:. Guys like Grill and I are sceptical because we think there's better for the price (or you can get the same for less),

From what I have seen or know (which is not necessarily much) Ritte seems no different except that they are actually communicating on this forum. Certainly they have a defense of their position. It can't possibly be easy to bring a bike to market these days even under the best of circumstances. If they make a little money, or even a LOT of money, I just say "Congratulations!" :beerchug:

Felt has a presence on this forum.
Cervelo has had a presence on this forum.
Zipp has had a presence on this forum.
Rolo has had a presence on this forum.
Others as well. Well before Ritte.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Rick

by Rick

53x12 wrote:

Appreciation and congratulations to all of them, then!

I don't see haw that changes anything. :noidea: :noidea:

I don't know why I seem to be defending Ritte. I don't own any of their products; I just don't get the negativity.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

This is the sort of thread which is compelling reading but makes me quite annoyed the longer it goes on!

The basic point being refuted by Spencer was regarding the 'myth' that they were just pedalling open mould frames. Assuming that what spencer says is true and this is no longer the case (ie they don't sell open moulds), and no one appears to be disputing the fact - isn't it discussion over? The rest is just personal opinion about whether people like the brand / product.

I should admit that before reading this I was propagating the myth - so I stand corrected. Oh, and despite have 3 black bikes, I do like their colour schemes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spookyload

by spookyload

53x12 wrote:
Rick wrote:

Ted Ciamillo had a very active presence here too. Now he is silent and makes his distributors defend him

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Rick wrote:I don't see haw that changes anything. :noidea: :noidea:

I don't know why I seem to be defending Ritte. I don't own any of their products; I just don't get the negativity.

"except that they are actually communicating on this forum. "

You make it sound like Ritte is the only one that is communicating on this forum, sorry if I misunderstood your post. Hats off to them for coming back after a few years absence. Would be nice if they stuck around and became part of this community rather than coming and going as they see the fit to do some PR.

Beancouter wrote:This is the sort of thread which is compelling reading but makes me quite annoyed the longer it goes on!

The basic point being refuted by Spencer was regarding the 'myth' that they were just pedalling open mould frames. Assuming that what spencer says is true and this is no longer the case (ie they don't sell open moulds), and no one appears to be disputing the fact - isn't it discussion over? The rest is just personal opinion about whether people like the brand / product.

I should admit that before reading this I was propagating the myth - so I stand corrected. Oh, and despite have 3 black bikes, I do like their colour schemes.

The thread should and will keep going as long as people still have stuff to say and discuss. Doesn't end when you think all that needs to be said has been said. If you don't like the way the thread is heading, you don't need to open it and read it.

The topic is regarding Ritte feedback. So as long as people have thoughts and opinions to offer the discussion, don't let the discussion end. Threads fizzle out on here when they are over.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."